• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

BSD UNIX implementation in MAC OS X

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flw
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 5:58 am    Post subject: BSD UNIX implementation in MAC OS X Reply with quote

What are your opinions on the claimed stability of the MAC OS X from the BSD UNIX implementation, derived from the original 4.4BSD-Lite2 Open Source distribution. This is per apple.com see http://www.apple.com/macosx/technologies/darwin.html

Since I know little to nothing about Apple or BSD I though I's ask for your opinions on the claim of stabitliy equal to Unix? I just don't see how you can delute a OS like this and still claim one of the virgin qualities of Unix. What do you think?
hugo
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only tell you this;

The MacOSX's kernel is based on the Mach3 kernel which was also used in NeXTStep. I still got such a machine with which I sometimes fiddle around a bit.

I know from experience that those NeXTStep machines are terribly stable, the only downtime was due to updates on the software, power failures, or a RAID failing... :-/

When I first looked at MacOSX, I noticed the similarities in the file-hierarchy, etc...

So, without having being able to really power-use OSX, simply because I don't have it, I dare bet it's just as good as any other UNIX.
Dunceor
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never really used it but I have friends that have became Mac freaks after Mac OS X.
There is alot like *nix with the shell (you can control the whole box from the shell just like an *nix box).

Mac OS X looks like a *nix box with XFree86 on it and I have heard from alot of people it's very stable.

I'm looking into maybe tryin to buy one of the G5 later on when I got money, would be so nice Smile
catwoman
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used unix before I upgraded to Mac OS X so I can't compare, I'm afraid. However, I can tell you that this is the most stable of all the Macintosh OS's IMHO and I've been a Mac user for nine years now. My computer has only crashed twice in 26 months (both times using Microsfot software Laughing) - the OS quits an application before the computer can crash.
catwoman
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r4bb1t_f00d wrote:
Amit Singh has written some very interesting technical articles on OS X and its the history of Macs et al. http://www.kernelthread.com/

Thanks for posting that - I'll bookmark it for reading later Very Happy
chenghui1981
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mircokernel make mac os x become so powerful, i think...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: