• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

A virus that can psychially damage your computer.

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Viruses // Worms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UV
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: A virus that can psychially damage your computer. Reply with quote

I had a problem with my DVDrom where it would scratch the Cd's to hell, and someone said it could be the drivers. well if thats true couldn't you make a virus that would screw up the CD/dvdroms enough to scratch every CD?

also why can't you make a virus that will overclock a computer to the point where it'll just burn itself out. stop all the fans, turn the brightess up so itll burn out the moniture, maybe screw up the speakers somehow? surly this is much worse than just formatting a computer.
Groovicus
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been done... Wink

There used to be a virus that would spin your HD so fast that it would eventually fry it. The name eludes me right now.

Frankly, it sounds like you are due a new DVDrom... the only way I know that it could physically damage the surface is if the read head makes physical contact with the cd...and the only way I know that can happen is if something is seriously out of place...I could be wrong though.
wiz561
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:03 am    Post subject: cd Reply with quote

I also heard of a cdrom or dvdrom drive spinning so fast that the media would shatter. This actually happened to my sister once. I thought she was messing with me until I saw the evidence.

I also saw on a tv show they heard the same thing, so they tried to prove it. I don't remember the outcome, but I think that if the cd/dvd is spinning fast enough and something happens, the cd will shatter.

Interesting...
mr sk
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How bout coding a bogus xfreeconfig file for xwindows and burning a picture into your monitor...aha not in 2004, maybe '75
wiz561
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: linux? Reply with quote

Ohh yeah! I'm not a linux expert but....

When you do the install, i remember seeing something about how if you don't choose the right horizontal and vertical refresh rates, it could damage something or other.

It always scares me, but what happens if you choose something bad? Again, how hard is it for a virus to start doing this? Smile
UV
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly, why cant you just (insert random bollox from startrek) a PC using a virus..

i wonder if you made it complex enough it could make your computer short circuit, maybe short out all of your house... maybe ur whole street! WOWW someone do it!
RoboGeek
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there have been a few chernobyl variants that flashed your BIOS and made it so you had to replace the chip - hence Gigabyte's dual BIOS
raghuveer
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, there used t obe in the past very few hardware viruses, and malware authors became more metured enough that they felt, Data is more important and valauble than hardware (even though infrastructure costs) and data can be easily corrupted too.

keeping this in mind, they started totally and more focus on software based malware codes.

Anyhow, why do you expect they make some hardware one again, unlike sofwtare ones, it will too much, and unnecessary investmenst & spending to people know

In most cases, CD-ROMs were affected by hardware affecting viruses, as they had modified cd.rom's default configuration to spin too fast, as our other friends told,

there may be much more things ahppened, I just tried to summarise the incidents I heard of and I read about
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Viruses // Worms All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: