• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Apache + NFS

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

View previous topic :: View next topic  
squidly
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 3:46 am    Post subject: Apache + NFS Reply with quote

I was wondering if any has any experience with nfs and apache. What I'm thinking of doing is exporting my users home dirs to another box over NFS so that they can have personal homepages on my server. My web server is on a different box and from my shells.

Any one have any sugestions with reguard to security as well as performance of the home pages for my users?

Thanks in advance.

Squidly
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ShaolinTiger
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not tried this before, but what I have seen done is using SAMBA to make symbolic links to their home directories, this can be done on a windows machine aswell using mount -smbfs or smbmount.

This means you only have the homes in one place, on a windows or *nix machine.

With regards to security, just be careful with your permissions. make sure each user can only access their home drive.

chown and chmod.
Guardian
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be done with Apache. You would need to be very careful opening connections between remote computers as it can be exploited and open the Network to all sort of problems.

I find the most secure way is to cocoon Apache in its own folder.

If It was me, I would install another Apache on the other computer and treat it simply as another server. Easy to set up and with its own settings, more secure.

Good Luck

Smile
flw
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was wondering if any has any experience with nfs and apache. What I'm thinking of doing is exporting my users home dirs to another box over NFS so that they can have personal homepages on my server. My web server is on a different box and from my shells.

Any one have any sugestions with reguard to security as well as performance of the home pages for my users?

Just a idea, is to leave the users where they are and setup apache on the same machine but have the home dir's on another machine/share
squidly
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning on leaving the users where they are and just exporting /home via nfs to the other server as readonly.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Squidly
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: