• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

AVG Free Edition

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
icertifydotnet
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: AVG Free Edition Reply with quote

What is the consensus about this AV? I am a firm believer that you usually get what you pay for, but then again this seems to be a marketing gimmick, so... what experience have people had with this AV?
allservice
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you truly believe that FreeBSD for example is worse than others. AVG, Antivir or else reveal the today's need for security.
icertifydotnet
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see how you could think that this is what I was trying to say... I have nothing against open source software. The bottom line is that this is a company that *sells* their products, and decides to make the home edition free, I suppose as a marketing device. This is a completely different business model, and that is the one I was referring to in my original post.

This said, beyond the question of what the business model may be, how about a review of the actual product? Is this an AV solution you would feel comfortable recommending?
ATS
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used it for awhile and had no problems. I have scanned known-infected computers with McAffee and Panda online scan which came up clean, and AVG (the free version even) found infections.

In my humble opinion AVG can't be beat (for being free)...unless there is a better free AV out there that I'm not aware of.
couladin127
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had absolutely no problems with AVG. I find it to be more reliable than some more expensive commercial products *cough*symantec*cough*

I know you've already said it, but I don't believe that just because a product is free, it is less reliable than a product of the same kind that you pay money for.

Just my 2 cents Laughing

Last edited by couladin127 on Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
icertifydotnet
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to those who reply. I appreciate the help on this matter Smile
tutaepaki
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used AVG free for a couple of years now, and had no problems with it. I recently upgraded to the Pro version, simply to support Grisoft for making a good product free.

I regularly put the AVG free of people's PCs when I help them with problems because, in most cases, one the the main problems is that people aren't renewing the free 12 month license that comes with their PC. AVG works, and regularly updates without too many issues.

I had an interesting conversation with some-one from ZoneLab soon after their purchase by checkpoint about the free version of zonealarm, and he was of the opinion that for companies that offer a free version and a comercial version of their product, the Free version serves as an excellent trial and test bed for features etc.
icertifydotnet
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks again.

BTW, how would you rate AVG compared to AntiVir?
SideSwipe
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i personally prefer antivir, i had a bad experience with avg, but that was years ago, so theyve definetly fixed it. but i give antivir 9/10
mr.burrito
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like AVG and encourage others to use it.. I did, however, get hit with a virus while being protected by AVG. I only found this out when I had to install Norton AV as part of my company's VPN policy. Norton caught it and quarantined it. Only then did AVG pick up the virus, but is was already in Norton's quarantine. It was a trojan that was a little booger to remove. I now use the free version of avast AV (http://www.avast.com). It is a nice, feature rich AV. It does consume more resources than AVG but it is also doing a lot more. One problem is avast doesn't play well with others. If you plan on running multiple AV's do not use avast.

All-in-all AVG is a real good AV. I compare it to what Zone Alarm does on the firewall stage. Simple, small footprint and a great price (free).

HTH
couladin127
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One problem is avast doesn't play well with others. If you plan on running multiple AV's do not use avast.

One thing I would like to mention is I wouldn't recommend running multiple AV's on one computer.
Most do not play well together and you can end up with all sorts of weird problems as a result.
My personal recommendation is to have one installed, and then if you want a second opinion, run one of the free online scans like:

PandaSoft
TrendMicro
Symantec
RickW
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

couladin127 wrote:
My personal recommendation is to have one installed, and then if you want a second opinion, run one of the free online scans like:

PandaSoft
TrendMicro
Symantec

You can get a complete list at:

http://www.antisource.com/staticpages/index.php/online-virus-scanner
allservice
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Ryan. I use Antivir since 2003 (Linux) then I installed on Windows. I can say that is not perfect as a software but is it much better than many other products (including NAV). Its virus data base file is one of the most complete and the scanner "Luke Filewalker" is one of the quickest - like ThunderByte AV years ago, which I loved. I've never been infected since i used it and I recommend this product to all of you.
mr.burrito
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

One thing I would like to mention is I wouldn't recommend running multiple AV's on one computer.
Most do not play well together and you can end up with all sorts of weird problems as a result.

Let me clarify...avast will not work with other AV's. It will not play with others. In fact it will not install itself if it sees another AV. And yes I agree that you should not multiple AV's because they can fight with one another when an instance is found and can be very taxing on your resources. I mainly run multiples as more of a test environment. You certainly need to be aware of the problems that can and will occur by running multiple AV's, however, it is interesting comparing 2 different products and seeing what finds what and what doesn't find what.
couladin127
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr.burrito wrote:

Let me clarify...avast will not work with other AV's. It will not play with others. In fact it will not install itself if it sees another AV.

Huh, that's interesting. I've never really messed with avast all that much personally so I wasn't aware that it did that....but I kinda like that feature.
I will agree though that it's kinda interesting to see whick AV will pick up things that the other won't Twisted Evil
captaintrips
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: AVG for exchange Reply with quote

I have been testing AVG for exchange, not free but a really good price for a two year subscription. After endless problems with other more expensive options

Ran it in a test lab enviroment, and loaded a backup exchange store into it so it could have some data to work with. left it alone overnight and came back in the morning. it was updated and had found 16 viruses in the store that our other did not ! we are now looking at getting AVG network edition for our network users
AVG does npot have bells and whistels, but it does stop viruses, its updates are fast small and don't make the machine have a heart failure while updates are applied. for such a slight cost AVG is great, and in my opinion better than some other, more hype driven solutions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: