• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

404's all the time

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Comments // Problems etc.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
InBan
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: 404's all the time Reply with quote

What's up with all the page not found errors on this site?? Seems like you guys are throwing www's in your links when they aren't appropriate and leaving them off when they are. Fix it already!

InBan
Groovicus
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Could you possibly be a little more descriptive with your problem? I usually only get 404 errors when my ISP is having problems, as the staff here bends over backwards to make sure the site runs as smoothly as possible.

In light of the upgrades that just took place Friday, it is possible that there are a few glitches that have not been ironed out yet. So some examples would help the staff narrow down any problems that you may be having.

What have you done to verify that it isn't a problem on your end, because since the upgrade took place Friday, nobody else has complained of any issues?
couladin127
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been getting that too, and if you try and reload the SFDC home page when the happens you get what looks like the administration page for the site, with logins for site and user administration.
I've been attributing it to the site upgrades and just ignoring it. I'll try and grab a screen shot if it happens again. So far it seems like the site is running pretty good today
Groovicus
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for verifying couladin.... hopefully all of the glitches will soon be ironed out.
couladin127
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a problem and like I say, it hasn't happened yet today. Everything seems to be running really good so far(waits for the site to crash out of bad karma now.) Laughing
InBan
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this has been happening since I set up my account yesterday. I'm constantly being sent to links that have a www. at the begining of the url. If I remove the www. then the link works. Even the confirmation for registration did this, emailed notices of posts to monitored strings, and links within the site. I first came here through a link from www.windowsecurity.com, and that link didn't work either. I removed the /forum from the url and found myself at an administrative logon screen; (https://www.security-forums.com:19638/webhost/rollout/site), rather than pokeing at that too much (I was tempted) I tried removing the www. and found my way to the buliten board. Maybe it has to do with my ISP's DNS, but I haven't had any problems with other sites, I could try changing my DNS server to a DNS Root Hint server to see if I get the same type of issue. Know any good root hint addresses off the top of your head?

Even clicking submit right now is doing it...

InBan
couladin127
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

InBan please make sure that you've seen this.

We were originally suppposed to be completely down all weekend, but through amazing work of the Admins we never went down. We do seem to be still having a few problems that need to be worked out. The site should be totally back online and functioning by tommorrow.
InBan
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't seen that, I'm new, so please excuse my ignorance, I do tend to have high expectations. This very well could be attributed to DNS propagation.

Ill be patient, if it's not better in a couple of days I'll make some more noise!

Thanks for the quick response!

InBan
couladin127
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah don't worry about being new. You just happened to join as just the right time to catch us having a few upgrade growing pains Laughing

I hope you enjoy it here. Very Happy
InBan
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I will. All things good must grow, and real growth never comes easy, nor without lessons learned.

InBan
Josh295
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats about all I get, 404's....

I actually looked at this site a few months ago, but couldn't go anywhere, so I moved on.

Looking over this thread, perhaps it was at the time of your update.

However, today I tried again, and can't go anywhere except to this forum.
(well, I didn't try *everywhere*)

right on first page, http://www.wown.info/ I click on the first article, "How to implement group policy security filtering".....404. I click on the "articles & tutorials::windows 2003"....404

Any article on the page will do that. I searched for some articles, tried clicking on the results......404

Navigation bar across the top: Admin Knowledgebase...404
Articles & tutorials...404
Arthurs..................404
Hardware........................works!
Links..............................works
Message Board..............works
newsletters.....................works
software...................works

so.........don't know what the deal is.......don't have problems with other websites....I take that back, I do have occasional problems with another site that is set up similiar to this one, www.isaserver.org
but most links work, it is often that article that I search for, when I try to go the link in the result, get 404.

for what its worth............looks like this would be a very good site, except I can't read anything.....
Josh295
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe it was just my bad luck to try and access the site twice when you were updating........

but it appears to be ok now <shrug>

Thanks
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've investigated your troubles Josh, and have experienced them as well. I've notified the administrators of our sister-site of the problem and drawn their attention to this thread as well.

I'm sure everything will be resolved as quickly as possible. And thank you for your extra effort in documenting just where the errors are coming from.
MikeVella
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting us know about this. Can you please navigate to www.windowsnetworking.com for now, as that is the actual main site. I'm checking into the other dead links and I'll let you know once that is fixed.

Also could you give me the exact link for www.isaserver.org where you get 404s?
MikeVella
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with wown.info has been fixed. If anything else comes up please let me know. You can send a PM or email.

Thanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Comments // Problems etc. All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: