• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

SCSI HDD problem

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Hardware // Upgrades

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thechosenone
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: SCSI HDD problem Reply with quote

Hello,

Right ive got a scsi HDD, type that fits onto a 80 pin backplane.

Does anyone know if I can get this working with a scsi adapter 80 -> 68 pin.

Ive tried it but the scsi card isnt finding it, could it be a termination problem as ive heard that these type dont work unless terminated first. Is this true?

Anyway HDD model is IBM DRHS LVD scsi 36.4gb trying to work on a adaptec scsi card.

thanks
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCSI cables must be terminated at the beginning (host adapter) and end (after the last device) of the SCSI chain. Check to see if your host adapter and Hard Drive are using the same type of terminator resistor network. This does make a difference.

Tom
ShaolinTiger
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not terribly au fait with SCSI, but don't most SCSI HDD's have a termination option?
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaolinTiger wrote:
I'm not terribly au fait with SCSI, but don't most SCSI HDD's have a termination option?

All SCSI Hard Drives have the standard IDS (Identifying DeviceS) or LUNS (Logical Unit NumberS) device. This can be either a jumper (which is what most IDE users are familiar with ... Master / Slave / Cable Select) or a set of DIP switches. The purpose of IDS or LUNS is to identify to the SCSI bus which of 8 devices the Hard Drive is (0-7).

Now is when an IDE expert can become confused when looking at an SCSI drive.

In most cases, a terminator network can be activated or deactivated by flipping a DIP switch or changing a jumper on the drive itself. If the terminator cannot be shut off, it can almost always be removed by gently easing the resistor network out of its holder using needle-nose pliers.

So, you are looking at two sets of jumpers or switches. Traditionally, the set closest to the cable connector is the terminator -- although Sony broke this rule in 1998 with a few SCSI models. They later went back to the common practice when sales dropped due to their confusing configeration setup.

Tom
ShaolinTiger
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I never had any problems, I was old skool, I had a 4x SCSI CD-writer back in the day when there were only about 10 in each city LOL

I was da man!

I had an adaptec card, I set the CD-Writer to whatever it was supposed to be (1 I think) then installed the drivers for the SCSI card and that was it, worked fine.

Burn burn baby!

I wore it out though, now I have a lovely 24x Lite-On Smile
thechosenone
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok im almost lost as these 80 pin scsi where very very new to me!

On the HDD the is a key listing the pin options etc

one of them says TERM PWR EN (ONLY 68SE)

Could this be the terminator?

Ive looked for reference on the drive at IBM and found nowt so i do appreciate your help/advice guys
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for the truth ... Laughing

I've never owned a SCSI device. I have always thought that they were too expensive, complex, and over-rated. I've always gone with IDE.

True, IDE can only handle 4 devices via the motherboard, but with USB available along with IDE expansion cards -- you have the power of SCSI at a fraction of the price.

I have worked on SCSI for years, I even remembered when SCSI-2 came out and I thought, "Oh good, maybe they'll make it easier to set up and work on these blasted things".

No change, really.

Aside from a few ISP outfits who run multiple HD racks, the only folks I know who run SCSI are a couple of Accounting Firms and a Stock Brokerage Firm here. One of the Accounting Firms switched over to IDE last year and completely revamped their LAN. The new hardware cost less than the original hardware bought in 1996. That kind of impressed me a bit.

Tom
thechosenone
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the overated bit totally.

Im running a fair bit of scsi here from normal 68pin to ultra160 and these blasted LVD types, I hate em.

Ive found nowadays you can set up a lovely IDE raid system so cheap its unbelievable.

This one ive asked about i just want to use as a new server but i think I am going to be out of luck.
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thechosenone wrote:
Ok im almost lost as these 80 pin scsi where very very new to me!

On the HDD the is a key listing the pin options etc

one of them says TERM PWR EN (ONLY 68SE)

Could this be the terminator?

Yes, that is your terminator ... however, (ONLY 68SE) translates to "68-pin Single-Ended P-cable". Question is, does your Adaptec SCSI 80>68 pin adapter support termination of pins 17/51 and 18/52?

Although I can list the pin-outs for both a 68-pin Standard Signle-ended P-cable and an 80-pin Single-ended SCSI cable, I don't think it would do you any good.

IMHO the best course of action here is to obtain a 68-pin SCSI controller to slap into your PCI slot and cable directly to it. Either that or place an 80-pin device on the end of your cable and terminate it. Place the 68-pin HD in the center and remove the TERM PWR EN jumper from the HD.

Tom

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Hardware // Upgrades All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: