• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

color coding things in linux / php question

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

View previous topic :: View next topic  
delete852
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:19 am    Post subject: color coding things in linux / php question Reply with quote

IN console it would help a bunch if you can color code different things like in ls if directories would be a different color that would be much easier to understand. They have it in mandrake and its pretty cool. How to do it in debian?

Second question is that I just installed apache with php (with which i had problems earlier) and when i make a small php scritp and go to it throught my windows box, it asks me to download it. And it doesn't execute it, how come?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vlad902
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.) RTFM Wink. man ls shows thats it ls --color
2.) Are you sure PHP works? Post the part of your httpd.conf with the AddType part.
ShaolinTiger
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) RTFM Smile

Q: How do I get colors for 'ls'?

A: This assumes that you use bash, the standard shell in Debian. First check your ~/.bashrc, the necessary commands are probably already defined, but commented out (the have a # at the beginning of the line).

Remove that # in the line that says
Code:
alias ls='ls --color=auto'

If it doesn't exist, just add it. Feel free to comment out some of the other things in it, if you think you might like them. The next step is to make sure that all shells you start make use of that file. To achieve this, you have to edit your ~/.bash_profile and either add or uncomment
Code:
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
      source ~/.bashrc
   fi

After you did that, run the following command in all already open shells:
Code:
source ~/.bashrc

This will reread that file and add the alias to the running shell. If you are interested in other useful things you can do with that files, 'apt-get install bash-doc' and read /usr/share/doc/bash/examples/startup-files

2) You have php installed, but you don't have Apache set to use it and you might not have chmod +x it.

Google for "Using PHP with Apache" +Debian or something

P.S. Both of these questions can easily be answered with Google.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: