• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

CPU - Castout? Purchasenew? Upgrade?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Hardware // Upgrades

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nic123
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 5:20 am    Post subject: CPU - Castout? Purchasenew? Upgrade? Reply with quote

Please help!
I bought a Compaq Presario 7800 with some decent trimmings in May of 2000 and despite the price I paid at the time it has been a never ending problem. Frequent crashing, Error Pop-ups - you know the usual Windows stuff, only more frequent than normal Wink ...
Anyway, in attempts to fix the problems I have in the past re-installed windows, formatted the C:, upgraded windows, downgraded windows and pulled cards in and out to find the problem - all to no avail.

Most recently I installed win2000 server, but I have reached the last straw - it's 'do or die' time!

As the hardware is more than good enough for the intended home use (i.e. 12xDVD, CD-R, Zip Drive, 17" monitor etc, Pent3, abt 700MHz, S3 Savage4 Card...etc) I would like to use most of it and not have to fork out for a completely new computer. Although having said that am also willing to invest some $$ if it will solve the problems!
All I am looking for is a machine that works! (...don't say 'buy a Mac', please...)

So the ultimate question is: If I buy a new Motherboard with Pent4, Harddrive and Graphics Card, have I bought a new computer or a whole load of new problems? Should I shoot it, burn it and throw it out the window and get a new system?

Any and all suggestions and replies will be great appreciated.
Quick though... before I do some damage to either the machine or myself - one of us has GOT TO GO!

Thanks and regards, Nic
ShaolinTiger
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like faulty RAM problems, or could be a kooky motherboard.

Most likely the RAM though.

What you could do is grab SiSoft sandra, and Memtest and run a few tests on it, full diagnosis and see if anything comes up.

Install Win2k Pro from scratch (fdisk /mbr, fdisk remove all partitions, fdisk add them back, format /u all NTFS).

There's never a point where there is a need to ditch the lot, there's only usually (95% of the time) 1 point of failure.

Once you have found this and replaced, all will be well again.

You could try installing Linux on it though Smile

But if you're RAM is dodgy even that won't be a good idea.

Have you tried any diagnostics?
nic123
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Took your advice and had it tested this weekend and apparently the harddrive was the problem. Had the HD along with the Motherboard changed (wanted an upgrade anyway) and now (touch wood) all working fine.
Linux? Not a bad idea... better for my mental health, I'm sure!

Thanks again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Hardware // Upgrades All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: