• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Apple expected to announce shift to Intel chips

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoboGeek
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Apple expected to announce shift to Intel chips Reply with quote

Quote:
The move would be a major change in strategy by the company

News Story by Martyn Williams

JUNE 05, 2005 (IDG NEWS SERVICE) - Apple Computer Inc. will announce Monday that it intends to transition its computers to Intel Corp.'s architecture over the next few years, according to several published reports.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs is expected to make the announcement during his keynote speech at the company's Worldwide Developer's Conference, which begins on Monday in San Francisco, according to reports over the weekend by The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times and several other media outlets.

Apple plans to begin the shift with low-end PCs in mid-2006 and continue to high-end PCs in mid-2007, CNet's News.com reported, quoting unnamed sources.

http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/macos/story/0,10801,102258,00.html?source=NLT_AM&nid=102258

This could be interesting. In theory you should be able to get Mac's OS to run on a typical Intel based PC I would think. Then if Apple offered their OS for a bit cheaper than M$, I smell a real OS war in the making!!!!

Last edited by RoboGeek on Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in fact this has been confirmed at the developers conference today

Edit:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jun/06intel.html

Moderator note: please do not double post, use the Edit button instead - capi
capi
SF Senior Mod
SF Senior Mod

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I'm torn about this. On one hand, the added competition to M$ would be great. I myself would like nothing better than for MacOS to be natively usable in x86 platforms, perhaps we could actually have a majorspread quality OS for a change.

On the other hand, this means less competition to Intel. We win on the OS side but loose on the hardware side...
RoboGeek
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it runs on Intel, it should run on other major chips too. Unless they code it specifically for Intel-only. But that would not be to their benefit I wouldn't think. And those guys might jump on it and make a better chip for both platforms. AMD is already way ahead of Intel in development, so I expect they will jump on the bandwagon too
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i'm not overly happy about this move either. i wish they would have gone with amd over intel, mainly because i've hated intel ever since the first pentiums came out and intel kept denying any problems with the chips. Evil or Very Mad plus, it just doesn't seem right that apple should have the same architecture as pc's when they've been so separate for so long. i guess this means that we'll see more games for apple, but it also seems like macs will be just as hackable as pc's despite having osx running the show...
capi
SF Senior Mod
SF Senior Mod

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoboGeek wrote:
If it runs on Intel, it should run on other major chips too. Unless they code it specifically for Intel-only. But that would not be to their benefit I wouldn't think. And those guys might jump on it and make a better chip for both platforms. AMD is already way ahead of Intel in development, so I expect they will jump on the bandwagon too

Well that is a good point. I doubt they would make it Intel-specific, there's enough common ground between the two brands for it to run on both (as Windows already does). Most of the instructions are the same on the two processors anyway.

I'm still not very happy about our options being reduced to only one major platform (apart from SPARCs), but the added competition against M$ does offset that rather nicely - not to mention that MacOS is a very interesting OS indeed Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: