• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Certification views from CIO's

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Security Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flw
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Certification views from CIO's Reply with quote

Do Certifications Matter?
by Allan Hoffman
Monster Tech Jobs Expert
Monster.com on certifications:

Network engineers, database administrators and other techies often wonder whether they should spend time and money chasing after certifications. Do information technology executives actually care how many flashy acronyms -- from CCNA to MCSE -- a job applicant can list on a resume? Or do they only care about experience?

To answer these questions, we talked to chief information officers about the certification craze. Opinions vary, of course, but in general they agreed on the following:

Certifications matter, but only as one element in evaluating a candidate.
Certifications are often most useful in the initial screening of applicants, allowing a company to see whether an individual meets an objective, recognized level of expertise.
Applicants with certifications but no experience don't stand much chance in today's competitive environment unless something else about the candidate stands out.
Hiring managers have become increasingly sophisticated in evaluating certifications, looking for hard-to-attain credentials or a meaningful combination of several certifications.

For the rest of the article see http://technology.monster.com/articles/ciocert/

Since most of us are busy making IT work and are not in upper manangement, I thought some of you may find it interesting.
delete852
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He doesn't mention anything about a college degree, I wonger how that stacks up against experience and certifications.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
prana
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about college degree? how about no college degree? what different experience and certifcation? If the person have greatest experience and dont have any certifications. will person hire that job???

prana
Posideon
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the department I work in, we currently are trying to recruit new people. Our team leader has had loads of CV's with tons of MCSE's, MCSA's, CCNA'a, CNA's etc etc blah blah.

We work in a remote management department, administering large networks remotely with site engineers on standby if required.

He (my TL) interviewed a couple yesterday who had MCSE's and seem like a decent bit of experience. When asked how they would unlock a users account in NT, one applicant replied 'send an engineer to site'.

Enough said, there are lots of paper people out there, and when asked a simple question they fall flat on their face.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
prana
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"He (my TL) interviewed a couple yesterday who had MCSE's and seem like a decent bit of experience. When asked how they would unlock a users account in NT, one applicant replied 'send an engineer to site'. " from Posideon

That s true. It happened to me before. When I went to office to fix their network or so... I had MCP that time. I asked person who had mcse, ccna, ccne etc to configure new username and password for me and give me more authorize on the server. Can you do it for me? The person was like "huh? oh ok" His face was red and looked like he didnt know how to do? I was like huh? you had great certication.

That s problem. Certifcate is wonderful and profit for people. I rather use hand on and get cerificate. So it will give me more knowlege of hand on and cerficate.

right?????????
Posideon
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes definitely experiences beats certification hands down. But I feel there is a thin line between the two and its important that an individual gets the balance to boost maximum career prospects.

Oh yeh there are too many cheet cheets available for people to get a way with getting it in the first place. Getting an MCSE is a hard job, so it ought to be questioned, or be asked a simple question Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
prana
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I m glad that you agree with me! Some of people disagree with me. I respect them include you! Smile

You know that cheet sheets site was down! beucz they will go to federal prison for 18 years!
check it out on http://www.certcities.com/editorial/news/story.asp?EditorialsID=397

For me, I only have 3 exams to go to be MCSE! GRR sometime i was lazy plus too expensive for each exam!

how about you?
Posideon
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have a MCP in server 2000 and currently studying for CCNA, its hard especially when im in my finally year of uni as well. Time is scarce.
delete852
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok quick thing i want to ask, unlocking a user is the same thing as unchecking the "Disable this user" box in user properties right? Not quite sure about this.
I am still in high school and i studing in Networking program, by the end if all goes well, I will have 2 years of experience, CCNA, MSCA, and A+, these tests are expensive as shit, i am saving up money to take A+, School is paying for CCNA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Posideon
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No thats something completely different.

An NT server unlocking would go as follows:

NT User Manager for Domains, find the user, open the account, untick the account locked tick option. Click OK and allow a standard 10 mins for replication across servers. Although thats microsoft bullshit it usually happens straight away.
delete852
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh I see, i don't know much about NT I am more of a windows 2000 person, since that is only what they teach us. But it is basically the same thing i said except the name is different.
Posideon
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sort of, AD is tons better tho. Good luck with your study and certs.
delete852
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
cisco is VERY tricky with their tests, and so is Microsoft I hear, did you guys have any problems getting your certs?

Yea AD is pretty cool, much better than in NT4.0 with all those PDC and BDCs, plus Active Directory has MMC, which helps out a lot.
Posideon
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My server MCP i studied for 7 months and got 93%, just studying for CCNA now, need 84% to pass. Sad
prana
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got MCP WIN NT and W2K. I like AD than Win NT becuz AD is very easy to use/configure. NT had different. MMC is good snap-in. it s easy for you to choose whatever you like to see like dhcp or ad or whatever. It s fast to find than WIN NT. I m still working on MCSE W2K as 3 exams to go! I got tired to pay each exam. After MCSE, I m planning to study CCNA. I heard that CCNA 507 or ? than 407 exam.

good luck all of you guys include me! for exams Smile Surprised
EricTheBald
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some certifications are definitely worth more than others.

Microsoft certs?
Well, truth be told, I've talked to some real ignorant MCSEs

Cisco?
Well, the CCNA is a fairly challenging test, especially since they started putting in simulator and troubleshooting questions. Not to mention the 85% you need to pass. I still think of CCNA as sort of an "Associates Degree" equivilant. CCNP, which I'm working on now, is more of a Bachelors level with CCIE being a Phd.
I'll tell you this...
A CCNA without experience is going to have holes in his skill set, but it's also someone who has more than just a clue and is worthwhile as a strategic hire.

Redhat has a couple of certs...
RHCT & RHCE
Their testing is very hands on and if someone has one you can be damned sure they know what they are doing.

Personally, I'm on a Cisco track and when I finish my CCNP I'm going to work on getting myself at least an RHCT. (I won't try the CCIE for a while.)

But, I'm specifically avoiding the MS certs. The rep is no good.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Security Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: