• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

How do you use the SFDC forums?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Comments // Problems etc.

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you browse the forum?
default page ie latest posts
23%
 23%  [ 13 ]
posts since last visit
40%
 40%  [ 22 ]
index then forums / threads I am most interested / skilled in
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
using search
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
a mix of these
25%
 25%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 55

ShaolinTiger
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have front portal page bookmarked, also have live bookmark from our RSS feed so I can check for new threads without visiting when I'm on dialup.

I usually click posts since last visit and check my posts, then staff area, admin area and my areas of interested like pen-testing section.
ciel
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Viewing unanswered posts Reply with quote

Hello,

I always open this url :

http://www.security-forums.com/forum/index.php

I'm really not interested in the portal :

http://www.security-forums.com

The few portal links I'm interested in, in my point of view, can be more quickly accessed from the forums index.
But I was never used to use the portal, so it's quite normal the way I do keeps to be faster and simpler.

Arrived on the forums index, I seldom check my own posts because I get a mail notification each posted answer, so it's not necessary.
Instead, I often click on "view unanswered posts" but I always feel desperate because there are so many pages and the messages that appear in the first pages never match my interests nor my skills.
And unfortunately, there's no tool which would help me to filter by one ore more forum titles all those unaswered posts to only see which are the ones I could be interested in.

So, i sadly have to go through each item of my selection of 2,3,4 forums - depending on the day, if i'm busy, etc, ....

And I'm " loosing " my time ( i'm sorry to pick an harsh word ... ) across many already answered posts .... I just want to see unanswered posts !

So, in my point of view, for the way I use "View unanswered posts", the option is, unfortunatey, useless, and it costs much time to do the way i do only to read wanted topic titles.

I don't think already answered posts are useless, I would be wrong, but because of the too huge number of messages, ineluctably too many disinteresting messages for me, I'm not interested in lurking through them to learn

So I told you which SF user I am ...

Are they people who feel the same about viewing unanswered posts ?
Are they people who disagree with what I said ?

I would be happy to read what your opinions are.

ciel

Last edited by ciel on Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciel
'Unanswered' just means they don't have any reply yet to the original post.

'Answered' means they have a reply, but it does not mean the question/problem is solved necessarily.
Maybe the second person asked for more detail, or suggested somethign which did not work and the OP has returned to try more things.
People like njan and I will often put in a reply where we can see soemthing more is required from the OP (such as the OS they are using or other basic information). This is so that by the time someone else comes along (like you) it might already have enough information for a full answer.

(by the way, I hope njan knows that I am not implying that all of his posts are just lame questions with no substance. Not all, just most Wink Twisted Evil )

Don't overlook the "answered" posts - we need your expertise on every thread possible!
À bientôt!

(if you see [solved] in the thread title then it's pretty sure it is, but most people don't follow this convention)
ciel
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Eliza,

Thanks for answering me.

I know that an answered OP isn't necessarily a solved OP but I still want to monitor unanswered posts because of two reasons :

- they are mostly unsolved problems and there's often no need to read the content of the whole thread to know whether the probem is solved or not.

- they fall "out-of-visibility" ( - s/out/far/ from visibility - would be more corect ) unlike answered posts which become first visible links each time they are replied

However, i agree with you about saying that's a pity to overlook already answered posts because they also may contain unsolved problems.
It's just that, for me, UN-fortunately,it is simpler to find solved problems than unsolved problems.

ciel

p.s. : you have a perfect spelling in french ! And with right accents Smile
Tell me your secret Smile
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Je n'ai aucun secret - normalement je parle la français comme une vache éspanole, mais si j'écris, j'ai beaucoup du temps pour trouver les petits accents etc. En ce moment ma français n'est pas si fluide que mein Deutsch, der ich benutze wiel mehr oft als mein Franzõsich.

Getting the right accents in another language is just as important to me as correct spelling in English - it aids clear communication and shows a little respect for the reader as well. For accent characters you just learn a bunch of numbers - 224, 233 etc. and off you go.

Vive l'Europe!

(mais vive aussi la différence!)

Je dois aller maintentant - j'ai d'autres chats à fouétter...
capi
SF Senior Mod
SF Senior Mod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliza wrote:
normalement je parle la français comme une vache éspanole

Laughing

Quote:
Getting the right accents in another language is just as important to me as correct spelling in English

Of course; getting the accents right is still part of spelling correctly (and why would any language be less important than any other one? Wink)

Por curiosidad, que tal te das con el español? Ou com o português, já agora? Smile
seetony
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I browse SFDC Forums for specific information I need on a given subject. I test security software for over 4 years now, and since joining SF I have found out its a "Wealth of Knowledge" at the forum. For my purposes SF is the best on the web Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Comments // Problems etc. All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: