• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Credit Card under a Fake Name?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Physical Security and Social Engineering

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KennyG
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Credit Card under a Fake Name? Reply with quote

Hey everyone this is my first post and I have always been fascinated by the subject of Social Engineering so I figured I'd post here first Very Happy .

Anyways the article is here http://www.blackjackforumonline.com/content/fakeid.htm

Its a cool article and I have a couple questions..

First of all, have any of you actually tried this before? And if so did the company supplying the card get suspicious at all?I was reading the article and got interested in if this method of social engineering might work or not.

Thanks for any Replies,

KennyG
The_Real_Gandalf
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hints:

Quote:
"As long as you pay the bills you are ok"
"I would like the card in his (or her) name, but I would like all billing and statements sent to me. I will be 100% responsible for paying the bills"

In other words , on the card , you can put even "Mr Einstein" and still be valid. Of course you can make reservations , by using it ,and maybe use it as deposit for this reservations.
But if you are still paying the bills, the benefits gained by using a C.C on another name is not considered something extra - ordinary.

Not to mention that those cards , if they reach a certain level of creditted ammounts, then those cards might be blocked or ask the shop/hotel/whatever provider of services to call the bank for further instructions.

Comming now , on how to get fake official credentials , is something i strongly advised against to. Especially now , while most police and army forces , are on the look out , for possible terrorists, who are using fake papers (as those described in this article). Unless of course you wish a free visit to Guantanamo or some other facillity.

Gandalf
Keiyentai
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also notcie that it was produced in 1988? Back then it was alot easier to do it. Now days you get cuaght doing that you will get nailed hard. Gotta love bush...
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what if, hypothetically speaking of course, you were sent an offer in your dead father in law's name and you decided to enter it, knowing his SSN, mother's maiden name, etc. and if you didn't pay the bills, how would they collect if he's dead? their bill gets in line behind the government and lawyers, and there will be nothing left after they get theirs.
Casperlok
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldnt when they run the ssn it will say hes dead or the number wont work
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would hope so, but i'd still like to try. i get these offers for my late father in law about once every couple months, and i've always wondered if they would issue him a card after he's been dead for a couple years.
roundtrip
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a lawyer but I'd think these thoughts are very dangerous unless you don't mind having a criminal record! This could be considered as deception and fraud.
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as soon as you post it you are commiting fraud, and even worse, mail fraud (considered very bad in the US, often used for serious crime where no other evidence can be gained lawfully (or without exposing an undercover operation), a bit like getting Al Capone on tax evasion)
Sco
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this line here:
Quote:
but I would like all billing and statements sent to me
obviosly suggests that they know where you live - this straight away means that you CAN get busted for this if either you use it illegally; or it is illegal in your state.

Have you read the paper trip? http://www.loompanics.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/cgi-local/smpagegen.exe?U+scstore+sfyn0666fff7a9f7+-p+-c+scstore.cfg+61160

Obviously i'm not gonna buy it, but it would be interesting to see how out of date that stuff really is. This may also have changed with the increase of chip and Pin - in the UK we use that a lot now.

Sco
M3DU54
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, AFAIAA it is *NOT* illegal (in the UK and I believe in the US too) to use a *false* name to obtain credit - provided that it is your intention to repay. Of course, if you DONT or CANT repay (for whatever reason) it would be very hard to convince a Judge that your intentions were honourable and that it was not a premeditated fraud. But nonetheless, the use of a false name is NOT illegal in itself.

Don't shell out for the various papertripping and ID guides - 99% of it is *VERY* old info. Things have changes so much in the last 12 months as to make even the new manuals unusable.

It used to be so easy...

THE BAD OL DAYS

You'd go to the library and search the newspapers on microfiche for around the year of your birth... checking the Births, Marriages and Deaths announcements under the guise of geneaology research. Depending on what you were after you'd look for :

- Babies that died (sick, but babies never had time to get credit problems)
- Young people that died around 16-17 (after getting a Social Security number, but too young for any serious credit problems)

Another sad fact about babies was that they never applied for a passport - This means their passport was never revoked as >DECEASED< (A great hinderance if you want to obtain a new passport)

Ah, the bad ol' days

Now its more difficult. Its far easier to steal an existing live (or missing) identity than to ressurect the dead.

INTERESTING ANONYMOUS OFFSHORE BANKS

There are a large number of banks located offshore that provide full bank services in ANY name you wish and never ask for ID. Some even give an anonymous 'credit card' ... it looks like a real credit card, it processes like a real credit card, it has any name you wish but behind the scenes it is a debit card (ie, it is refused if you have insufficient funds in your account)

The beauty of these is that if they are ever questioned about an account they *cannot* give out your information as they never had it. A great safegaurd I think you will agree. They usualy don't mind sending to a mailbox service.

OTHER LEGAL BANKING IDENTITIES

Look at austrian bearer book accounts (They are no longer producing, but old ones are honoured and are often traded)

Also, when considering an offshore banks always check for negative feedback from others, as many are scams. I know of three long-running (10yr+) offshore banks that are very well trusted but I won't name them here.

PERMANENT LEGAL IDENTITY

If you're looking for a permanent identity with passport there are a number of countries which sell citizenship. You can choose a name and purchase a nationality ... often these are 'citizenship by rebirth' which means a birth certificate is issued in that name in order to create a totally seperate national identity.

Forget major countries though - the cost of second passports in the first world is HUGE, and they almost always notify your birth nation. Look instead at developing countries and small independent colonies.

Costs from 500 pounds and up and up ... almost always require your physical presence in the issuing country. Fully legal for travel, including within the issuing nation. Normally no legal requirement to declare your second identity.

REAL TEMPORARY PASSPORTS

Look at 'second passports' - these are increasingly common among americans living or working in hostile countries. Essentially its a bogus passport issued by a legitimate passport agency which would never be honoured or verified by its country of origin. It is used to provide a plausible alternate identity in an emergency such as a coup or terrorist event.

Simply burn or hide your American/English/Whatever passport and use your second passport till the emergency is over. It works on the principle that terrorists and revolutionaries rarely have the time or means to check the validity of a passport against the issuing nation. European ones, though harder to obtain now, actually work very well for visa free travel throughout europe. Easiest to source are developing nations but most require travel to issuing country.

FALSE TEMPORARY PASSPORTS

Spy Factory in Las Vegas, Nevada used to sell these, not sure if they still do. Very high quality and difficult to tell from the real thing - no good for actual travel though.

Oh, and regarding Chip'n'Pin ... thats the biggest ballsup ever.

- No longer do you need to fake a signature in the presence of the teller
- Nobody checks the name anymore, you could be female and using a card in the name 'Fred Henry Bloggs'
- Additional side transactions (with card in place) are a dream
- Its so easy to get the PIN in a shopping queue
- Online abuse (the biggest problem) is still on the rise

... And we still aint sure that the card ain't flawed.

M3Dz
jeffball55
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When online stores check credit cards they normally check it against an algorithm to determine if the credit card number is faked or not. There used to be a online credit card number generator that could give out fake numbers to anyone at www.elfqrin.com.
M3DU54
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffball55 wrote:
When online stores check credit cards they normally check it against an algorithm to determine if the credit card number is faked or not. There used to be a online credit card number generator that could give out fake numbers to anyone at www.elfqrin.com.

I think you'll find that the stores front-end performs the simple validity check you mention. The backend will submit via a merchant account where more stringent checks are made and the application is subsequently passed or failed.

I don't really see the point of simply fooling the frontend form. Thats like saying you can fool a written application by making sure you put exactly 16 digits starting with a 4 or 5... yes, its part of the pattern, but it ain't going to get you past the merchant.

-Medz

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Physical Security and Social Engineering All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: