• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

LAN security

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Exploits // System Weaknesses

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chipmunktised
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: LAN security Reply with quote

Hey All,

Was wondering if you can suggest any links that I can play around with. Wanted to try to test the integrity of my LAN. Try to compromise a low-security box on it. Just something so I can go into the theory of how to protect it better and see how to prevent problems pre and post hacks. Thank you very much. Take care all.
flw
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could request something more specific?
myhatisred
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want a hacking challenge try www.try2hack.nl
chipmunktised
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just something that I can launch random attacks on the computer and look at records to see what was "battle injured" and how I can patch/prevent it. I tried out that website and it's pretty much ok. Have to read more on how to do certain things. Just don't know where to start as of yet. Thanks again.
myhatisred
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

set up something on your own lan and have someone else set the password on it, and you try to break it
chipmunktised
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any pointers on where to go abouts cracking/hacking it? I feel stupid asking but I guess it comes with the beginner level status.
ip9
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just want to see what is vulnerable and don't want to spend any cash have a look at Nessus.
flw
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also good and cheap place to go is the local library. They may not have the latest but even a 10 year old book will give you a place to start for free :> Then move up as you get the basics down. O'Reily had a computer security book (old) I bought for $6 plus shipping.

You don't have to spend alot or any just to start.
ThePsyko
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start by fingerprinting every system accessible externally (the one thing I've found MS Excel is good for lol), then have a look at my site for some of the more common ways to access NT/2k systems... if your webserver uses forms / accepts user input, have a look at http://www.technicalinfo.net/papers/CSS.html
delete852
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is another good website, it is called
www.2000trainers.com
check it out, it has a special section on network security, it might be what you are looking for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chipmunktised
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome suggestions all. I've been at 2000trainers.com alot lately looking at different things. One thing that catches my eye to learn alot about is IDS. Since I'm going to be running a *nix box soon once I get these files, I plan on goofing around with it. Seen alot of nice apps @ apps.kde-look.com *Not sure if that is the right URL* but maybe I'll get myself involved with that on a schedule. Some of these apps show which type of attack at which protocol and so forth. Looks pretty interesting. If you were a n00b starting off, would you shoot for that? I know basic home networking/file sharing/print etc. Any other links you suggest for reading would be terrific. Thanks once again Smile
ip9
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking into IDS have a look at snort. If you set this up to log to a MySQL database and then install ACID (from the front ends or plugins section - i forget) you get a nice web-based front end to the logswith links to Bugtraq / CVE etc. There are plenty of papers on the snort site that talk you through installing. If you find that a little too much, have a look at PureSecure personal editon offering from demarc this will install and configure snort for you through a little wizard thingy.

Also, have a look through the excellent papers at the SANS ReadingRoom, a very good place to start.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Exploits // System Weaknesses All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: