• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Partition Magic for windows server ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Exchange 2000 // 2003 // 2007 & Active Directory

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iraq it
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Partition Magic for windows server ? Reply with quote

Hi,

Anyone have a link to Partition magic free software for windows servers because the copy i have is just for previous windows versions and cant support windows server 2003 Question

Or any safe idea to divide the hard disk except fdisk Question

Thanks,
Bannerd
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there are tons of alternatives here. Try Disk Management in window MMC

If that doesn't work you can always use diskpart. It's another windows program that should be installed into the command prompt. More friendly then fdisk.

If that doesn't work download knoppix/Linux and do it that way.

Other than that you will have to spend 40$ and upgrade to partmagic if that's what you want to use.

I would try Disk Management, I have used it alot to splice a HDD etc.

Make sure you backup your stuff.
iraq it
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would try Disk Management, I have used it alot to splice a HDD etc.

Make sure you backup your stuff.

I will try the disk mangement on separate windows server before apply to the producation servers. Is it suppose that righ click on the C drive in disk mangement give me create new partition or not Question i am just trying to check it on my windows XP and i couldnt do anything Exclamation

Thanks,
iraq it
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I converted my C drive to dynamic type but still dont know how to create new partition using the disk managment tool Question any idea Idea

Thanks,
Cep
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partition Magic will not run on a Windows Server environment. I think its either because they do not support the Server OS's or they sell a seperate (possibly more expensive) program for the Server OS's.

I have looked around for some time but have not found any decent free ones that will work on a W2K3 server. You would more likely need to buy one.
phunkodelic
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into this a while back cause I had the same need at a previous job with windows 2000. Most of those partitioning software do not support RAID which SHOULD be part of a good software setup. I would avoid dynamic disks and go for hardware raid. With that being said I did notice that there are server versions that support RAID out there but they are pricey. I myself have never used them as they were to pricey to fix the problem I was dealing with at the time.
iraq it
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cep wrote:
Partition Magic will not run on a Windows Server environment. I think its either because they do not support the Server OS's or they sell a seperate (possibly more expensive) program for the Server OS's.

I have looked around for some time but have not found any decent free ones that will work on a W2K3 server. You would more likely need to buy one.

Well, thats what iam looking for and if i want to buy so i dont need to ask Exclamation

Anyway, i convert the disk to dynamic but i couldnt do anything to have new partition and iam waiting a way so i can test it before apply it Idea

Thanks,
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to create a new partition you need to have free disk space. I'm not talking space on a partition that's not being used but free space that hasn't been assigned to any partition.

I'd advise that you do a full system backup, re-install the OS creating the partitions as you want them then restore your data and settings from the backup.

personally, I'd agree with the hardware RAID comment already mentioned here.
iraq it
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
to create a new partition you need to have free disk space. I'm not talking space on a partition that's not being used but free space that hasn't been assigned to any partition.

I have free space for the new partition.

Quote:

I'd advise that you do a full system backup, re-install the OS creating the partitions as you want them then restore your data and settings from the backup.

I will not do this at all. This is not a good way i think to have new partition and i dont know why there is no software (like Partition Magic) to do this job in windows server OS Exclamation

Quote:

Well, i have 2 servers that have two HD and may be the RAID will work for this i think, right Question
Cep
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the Symantic website and see if they do a Server version of the Partition Magic software. The reason I do not think you will find one is because RAID is not supported by most partition managers.

I would have to agree with graycat here.

RAID is a method of arranging multiple disks into one disk for redundancy and other benefits, I dont think you quite understand what it is.
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iraq it wrote:
I have free space for the new partition.

great! in that case you can use it to make a new partition Smile

iraq it wrote:
I will not do this at all. This is not a good way i think to have new partition and i dont know why there is no software (like Partition Magic) to do this job in windows server OS Exclamation
i hate to break it to you, mate but this is a good way to change the underlieing disk setup of a server. I've had third party partitioning software fail me in a similar situation and since then I've found it a lot quicker and easier to run a full backup, reinstall / change the partitions and then restore it all back.

iraq it wrote:
Quote:

Well, i have 2 servers that have two HD and may be the RAID will work for this i think, right Question
sorry, but i'm not sure i follow you here. you've got 2 servers, that each have 2 harddirves installed that may be in some kind of RAID but you want to know if you can change the partitions on them? Confused is that right?
iraq it
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i hate to break it to you, mate but this is a good way to change the underlieing disk setup of a server. I've had third party partitioning software fail me in a similar situation and since then I've found it a lot quicker and easier to run a full backup, reinstall / change the partitions and then restore it all back.

You know, i cant tell my manager that i want to stop the producation servers to make a new partition, thats the case Embarassed

Quote:

sorry, but i'm not sure i follow you here. you've got 2 servers, that each have 2 harddirves installed that may be in some kind of RAID but you want to know if you can change the partitions on them? is that right?

I have 3 servers with one HD and i want to create new partition in two of them and i have 2 servers with 2 HD (hp DL360G4 model) and i want also to create a new partition on them but i see the HD as one partition.

Thanks,
Secure Lockdown
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iraq it, sorry if this post comes across as not as helpful as you would like, but i am posting it with best intentions in miind.

you should seriously get training on server 2003 or at least read the entire
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/134299b5-49d8-40a8-932a-317fab56bc69.mspx
assuming you are on 2003.

you run the risk of nuking all your companys data. a definate CLM*

*career limiting move.
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iraq it wrote:
Quote:

You know, i cant tell my manager that i want to stop the producation servers to make a new partition, thats the case Embarassed
well, you could if it was important. however, i see your point and can only suggest that you learn how to do these things 100% on test equipment as you really don't want to be blundering around on a production server. especially if your job depends on it Wink if you would like to try my suggested method, you might be interested in knowing that i can tear the server down and rebuild it using different disks / partitions in about half a day. the up side is this is scheduled down time and therefore accepted. if you feel the gain is worth the down time, then go for it. if not, then don't. your call, chief Wink

iraq it wrote:
I have 3 servers with one HD and i want to create new partition in two of them and i have 2 servers with 2 HD (hp DL360G4 model) and i want also to create a new partition on them but i see the HD as one partition.

Thanks,
ok, may i suggest that you try building servers along the following lines: c:\ - 10Gb for the OS only, e:\ - 10 to 20 Gb for programs and f:\ just for data and as big as you need. Smile this way your OS is seperated from your data and programs thus if one drive (or partition depending on how you've built the hadrware) dies or corrupts then you should still be ok.

one thought: you mention the DL360G4 - isn't that the 1U high server with only 2 internal hdds? if so, have you connected it / them to external raid array or something?
iraq it
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

*career limiting move.

What do you mean by this Question

Is the link that you gave contain a way to create a new partition in one HD dynamic disk in Win. 2k3 Question

You know i convert my HD to dynamic and the right click menu dont give any active action Exclamation

Thanks,
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iraq it wrote:
Quote:

*career limiting move.

What do you mean by this Question

you are in danger of loosing all of the data on the server and thus getting fired. Smile

HTH

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Exchange 2000 // 2003 // 2007 & Active Directory All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: