• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Security forums new look

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Comments // Problems etc.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhiBer
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, PCWriter and the others working on the design of this site: Keep up the hard work. We know that it takes time, dedication, and talent to create a good looking site.

On that note, here are my suggestions (some have already been mentioned):
The original security-forums.com was very clean and well organized (minimum "noise"). The new design with the WindowSecurity pane reminds me of cluttered sites such as experts-exchange & techrepublic. There is just too much "stuff". For example, instead of an "Articles & Tutorials" link, all of the sections within the Articles & Tutorials category are expanded (Authentication, Firewalls & VPNs, IDS, etc.).

The broader the sections on the homepage, the cleaner the look. Instead of trying to cover every single security topic on the front page, (ISA, Exchange, Articles, Tutorials, Tests, Software, White Papers, Newsletter, TechGenix Sites, Monthly newsletter, Books, etc. etc. etc) I would think that people enjoy less cluttered looks - one of the reasons google has become so popular.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with speed, but I simply run out of space with my hardware. I have 1024x768 and I don't keep my browser from <--> , because I have other windows open I need to access atleast with some ease.

EDIT: ARGH! To even read my own post I had to do horizontal movements.. I do not like this myself, I rarely post, but read, and each page has to be adjusted.

EDIT2: I honestly think it is a bad idea to combine these. SFDC should be found _under_ the main site, but without clutter as it has always been, ie "link to forums" or whatever.
Secure Lockdown
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

change is a change.

the only thing I can mention is, i am seeing all these new interesting links to the left that I can't keep focused on the forum. i keep wanting to clicking on the links. articles, tutorial, e.t.c. and see where they go.

it's cool. i will get used to it.
Bog
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found a workaround.

When in the forums, click "view posts since last logon", http://www.security-forums.com/search.php?search_id=newposts

This will display the latest posts that people have been used to.
Cass
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much like others i see performance issues, Under Solaris is practically unusable, much worse than the snowflake them of xmas time, i put it down to all those flash banners, under windows performace is better, both using firefox ...

Also i agree with others again, hate that bar down the left hand side, i dislike the fact we have no portal page, this is a MUST have to see all the latest posts, dont like having to read each diff section to see whats going on ...

Also i dunno what it is about the transition to windowssecurity.com, im not sure that sits well with me either, i prefered the more generic name of old, the new one under the parent company smacks of just windows, this is probably just bias on my part though ...

All in all i hope something can be done with the overall layout, i hope the portal returns and i hope the performace can increase for the non windows users, i doubt the last comment though as something tells me the flashy banners are here to stay !!

Oh and one final hope, i hope we dont lose any members or stop any new members joining because of these changes because at the moment im struggling to see light here just now, i just dont like them at all, its all too, whats the word i look for ...... commercial i think ...

Cheers
Cass

EDIT :- Nice work BOG for the workaround, at least this helps until the portal appears again, cheers !
Sid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, i got home and wow...any new members that are on dial up, probably wont stick around...the load time is just UNBEARABLE...and im running at 44.0 Kbps, the banners i saw at the top of the page on a high speed connection still hasn't loaded yet, and i cant help but ask....what about having a frame type system? where the outer edge didn't have to be reloaded each time..and just the inside changed......make since or am i just rambling...

All in all i dont really mind the change...i just think that ill have to get used to it....i understand that there have been unforseen consequences with the switch...im just trying to help....fix the performance problem, and ill be happy Smile
[[Merlin]]
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the colour scheme is not nice on my eyes; the page looks like it is being viewed though a dirty window.
hush
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must start by mentioning how much I love this site (regardless of its incarnation).

The banner to the left has some excellent links in it; however the utility gained is totally negated by its dominance and verbosity.

When I attempt to read blocks of text that are semi-technical in nature I find myself distracted by the flashing advertisements. I resolved this issue with privoxy, only to encounter a subsequent problem- The load time for the page is now border line ludicrous. I don’t know what takes longer, the forum to load a page or my computer to boot up.
Tom_Bair wrote:
We have to rebuild the 'Home page' since it was a bit of a mess after several years of altering... not sure how long it will take to finish.

I hope by this you are referring to the page with recent posts. I presume you are.

Perhaps you could have waited until this was finished before launching the new site.

May I enquire into the motive behind the ‘new look’ site. Is it financial?

I know everyone involved works hard so if this seems a little critical I’m sorry but this is how I feel.

hush
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your many comments! Keep 'em coming ... we are a bit busy now with smoothing out a few details, but will be discussing your comments and thoughts shortly. If possible, we'll try to fix that which we can.

Tom
Sid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont know if its just my xomputer...but all of a sudden at random times, everything{text} will scoot to the right but the background will stay, an example, look at the colum to the left of this post, and imagine all of the words in the column to the left directly to the right of the gray column...understand what im saying?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On another system that has better resolution I can see the pages pretty well. Only distracting thing on this system is the flashing banners. No speed issues either.
digen
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the banner containing links on the left I dont have any problems.The horizontal scrolling is indeed irritating for me as well as for many others here.Plus the flashy banners dont help to concentrate either Smile

The load time is pretty fast & I'm on 256kBps ADSL.The colour suits me too.

If only the SFDC Guru's could remove the clutter & make it as simple as possible then this change is nice (Y)
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many comments for all of them, but the main thing I would like to see is the redirects being fixed (a long-standing problem under the old design) so that I can simply bookmark the "posts since last visit" (which I have used for ages and even posted about, but thanks to Bog for bringing it to other people's attention - I didn't realise it was a secret!)

Currently this realises I am not logged in and asks me to do so, but then redirects me to a generic search page.

Other pHpBB sites which I visit have this functionality and I find it really useful.
Stormhawk
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night, this site took over 5 minutes to load. 99% of that time was waiting for windowsecurity.com and banman.isoftmarketing.com

I am on a 2Mbps DSL link, so I would hate to think how dial-up users are finding this new online experience!
Cep
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks a lot like ISAserver.org which I didnt like but with SF it looks quite good doesnt it Smile

I have to admit the main reason I never liked ISAserver.orgs layout are the banners, and the busyness of it all. I am on a large screen at home and work so I do not suffer from the screen size problem that others do on smaller resolutions.
PhiBer
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cep wrote:
the busyness of it all
Yes, I second that. The less clutter the better.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Comments // Problems etc. All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: