• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

UK e-commerce sites: Top 10 flaws

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShaolinTiger
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject: UK e-commerce sites: Top 10 flaws Reply with quote

UK customer credit card details and sensitive data is at risk because of simple e-commerce flaws, according to a study published this week.

Web server flaws, poor authentication mechanisms and faulty log-out facilities are the most widespread problems, with most flaws caused by relatively basic mistakes, according to security testing outfit NTA Monitor.

The top ten most common e-commerce flaws discovered by NTA Monitor, listed in order of frequency, are:
  • Lack of security behind the 'front door' exposes 'root' access Web server flaws

• Logout facility not working: although the web site tells users they have logged out, they are actually still logged in, so anyone using the PC directly afterwards can continue the session with full access to their account

• Predictable authentication tokens: this makes it possible to guess valid authentication tokens to access other accounts on the system

• Web server allows unencrypted access to secure areas: this allows information to be sent in the clear across the Internet - and sniffed in transit

• Authentication token cookie is cached on disk: anyone using the PC directly afterwards can log back into the session with full access to their account

• Authentication fields are not obscured during entry: so people looking over a victim's shoulder can see access details

• Account lockout mechanism does not work: leaving data unprotected from malicious 'brute force' attacks

• No protection against keystroke loggers: this allows an attacker to log confidential information entered by the user

• Weak password mechanisms: system allows users to choose insecure passwords, or there is no facility to change password

• Account enumeration possible: this enables an attacker to repeat attempts until valid user accounts are confirmed
Roy Hills, technical director, NTA Monitor, said, "Our experience shows that simple faults are worryingly common - and on a level that can be exploited even by the most unsophisticated hackers. Given that security issues are the biggest inhibitor for online buyers, we were surprised to find that companies are not sealing their defences more thoroughly."

NTA Monitor recommends that companies should enforce security policies to take account of the flaws it highlights. More detailed advice can be found here.

NTA Monitor's research was conducted from October 2002 to January 2003 and is based on flaws commonly discovered by NTA during security assessments of authenticated web access and e-commerce systems. Further details of the Top 10 list are available here. ®

Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/29511.html
Jason
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: UK e-commerce sites: Top 10 flaws Reply with quote

ShaolinTiger wrote:
UK customer credit card details and sensitive data is at risk because of simple e-commerce flaws
[*]No protection against keystroke loggers: this allows an attacker to log confidential information entered by the user

Someone designing/administering an e-comm's site has no fsking control over what the numpty head customer has installed on their PC.

That is not a flaw with e-commerce, it is a flaw with the End User that e-commerce sites will get blamed for.

Bullocks.
ShaolinTiger
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh didn't notice that one, but you can get around keyloggers by using onscreen keyboards for highly sensitive data or click these image type things.
Moonss
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm... if this is the case.. just say i've bought some stuff using my Credit card online under a website that claim that their forms are (SSL)... i mean is there still a way of getting my credit card information from my HDD if that credit card information form isnt saved? if there is, how do i exactly prevent it from happening? cause i've read in the Malaysian InTech papers about a guy who go around buying old HDD from people and companies that change their systems and then extracting all those credit card infos, documents and all from those HDD even though those HDD has been formatted. I'm not really worried bout my card getting stolen about cause i can prove to the card company that i did not made those charges.. but then again it would cost me more trouble if it happened.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: