• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

New CA on an old CA server.

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Databases

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tlilleywcsi
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: New CA on an old CA server. Reply with quote

Hello All;

I'm looking at reinstalling one of our Domain Controllers which also runs our issuing Certificate Authority. The CA's certificate is about to expire and we want to upgrade the server from server 2003 standard to 2003 enterprise R2 anyway.

This server started out as an NT4 box that was upgraded to 2000 and then to 2003. It kept it’s older files structure of c:\winnt. I reinstalled 2003 standard last fall to clean up the file structure and move everything to the newer file structure of c:\windows as well as clear up some other problems. In order to keep the CA working I had to create the winnt directory and add the CA’s files there to preserve the CA’s database and other files. With a little fiddling, the CA is working fine.

Now that we need to upgrade to enterprise, mainly to be able to issue IPSEC and version 2 certificates, I’d like to decommission the old CA and start a new CA on the same machine.

Question
Would there be any problems running a new CA on a newly reinstalled server with the same hardware and machine name?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

tlilley
tlilleywcsi
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone let me know if I can create a new issuing CA on a machine that had a previous CA decomissioned?

Thanks,

tlilley

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Databases All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: