• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Disk Security

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Physical Security and Social Engineering

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timmahh
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Disk Security Reply with quote

Ok, so my IRL brother is trying to hack my computer, so he burned this program called Login Recovery, and all he has to do is put this into my computer, and it shows the encrypted password. Once he has that, he uses some program that decrypts it, and there he has it.

I'm looking for a program that won't let you put a disk into your computer when you're not logged on, or something along those lines.

I know that you can just take out your hard drive, disk drive, or whatever... but that's too much of a hassle.
OddOne
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go one better and reset the administrator account passwords directly. Very Happy

Anyway, your best bet in this case is to put a bootup password into the BIOS to prevent the machine from even booting without it. This is risky, however - forgetting the pass is NOT a good idea.

oO
jansson_markus
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONLY way to do what you want to do is to encrypt entire hdd. From the start to the end (and with pre-boot authentication). That way he cannot get into system files or anywhere else, since EVERYTHING is encrypted. All you need to do is to choose a good, complicated and long passphrase and make sure you dont let him know it...and when you are away from the computer, lock it (screensaver with good Windows passphrase, press Windowskey+L) or turn it off. He cannot even install keylogger on the system since there is no system where to install it (since system is encrypted). All he can do is sneak your passphrase when you type it in or install hardware keylogger. Otherwise he is 100% out of your computer forever.

Luckily, there is one free program for that purpose, Free Compusec. Smile
http://www.ce-infosys.com.sg/CeiNews_FreeCompuSec.asp
timmahh
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was away in Hawaii, him and his friend took out the battery from my motherboard which took off the BIOS password. I havn't tried that whole encryption thing yet, just the BIOS PW seemed to be working.

Is there anything that I can do so he can't get my password even if he takes out the Motherboard's battery?
jansson_markus
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timmahh wrote:
. I havn't tried that whole encryption thing yet, just the BIOS PW seemed to be working.

No, it does not work as you already pointed out. Simply taking off the battery resets the password.

Quote:
Is there anything that I can do so he can't get my password even if he takes out the Motherboard's battery?

Encrypt entire hdd with pre-boot-authentication supported program (like Compusec Free). Everything else will fail, as pointed out already.
[[Merlin]]
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get a case which you are able to lock. This would prevent removal of the CMOS battery in order to reset the BIOS.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Physical Security and Social Engineering All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: