• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

ADSL vs Cable

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Cable or ADSL?
NTL Cable
80%
 80%  [ 8 ]
ADSL
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

athena

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 2:07 pm    Post subject: ADSL vs Cable Reply with quote

Afternoon

I am in an area with both an ADSL enabled phone exchange and also the ability to have NTL cable (stockport)

Could anyone give me the pro's and con's of both to help me change my decision. I intend to use it mainly for the web in general(I am learning web programming, so will be using FTP etc a lot) but will also use it for online gaming.
chris
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant say anything about ADSL but re: cable

Im not far away, and stockport uses the same method, broadband through the set top box.

I had an install as was on the trial, but now you need cable to run from back of set top box to a network card in the the computer(or router/gateway)

Stability wise I cannot fault NTL, its generally up 24/7 and seeing how much we pay in work for a commercial 256k leased line it makes me wonder sometimes, what a good service im getting for £25 a month.

£25 for 512k downstream 128 upstream

The benefit of ADSL is that you get 256 upstream but a lot of the providers seem to be USB which isnt as good for networking and the stability of ADSL was questionable on launch.

Not sure how good it is now, hopefully someone can post about experience of any of the UK ADSL providers.

I cannot fault NTL at the moment though, I would definately recommend it and if I had cable removed, I probably wouldnt even bother using the Internet via a modem again

p.s ive editted the thread to include a poll, hopefully this might give some sort of indication, maybe not Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Raven

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about satellites connectivity Question
Cable and adsl no good if you live in the middle of nowhere and BT arent going to roll out to you and a chance that ntl may show their butts you have better chance of streaking in Buckingham Palace, roll out the satellites and get some of us forest dwellers a chance at super speed or not so super speed. Evil or Very Mad

is that better for your eyes shaolin, hads Question Cool see today I am nice and I changed it tomorrow well cyan is nice and bright too then again you shouldnt give me colours to play with that hurts those with bad eyes, womans perogative to change mind and use bright colours so ner ner ner men pah! invest in some radical shades:wink:

in reply to the cost some arent so high priced especially when compared with some adsl set ups

Last edited by Raven on Mon May 27, 2002 3:36 pm; edited 4 times in total
ShaolinTiger
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the preview button, editing and using a font that doesn't leave permanent burn marks on my retinas Razz

Satellite? Fine yeh if you want to pay an £800 installation charge.. Twisted Evil

No thanks, if I was a country dweller I would stick with unlimited dual ISDN.

128k is fine enough for most purposes. Shocked

And yes some satellite providers are blisteringly fast...just VERY expensive, the monthly charges are quite low though. Very Happy Smile Very Happy

Oops I almost forgot the original question there..

Anyway I vote NTL, cable is a lot more stable than ADSL.

Whatever provider you get ADSL from you are still basically relying on BT's network and their provisions/repairs.

Not a good idea in my book.

ADSL is getting better, but if I had the choice at present I would go for 1MB NTL cable Smile
hads
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, yeah I had to highlight that font so I could actually read it.

I vote cable

I'm over the other side of the world but I have a similar argument to ShaolinTiger -- If you go for ADSL over here you are most-always relying on Telstras backbone which is unbelievebly unreliable.

Any clients that had ADSL I have shifted to another backbone which is more stable.

I've got uncapped cable at home (from telstra) and its really reliable and nice and speedy Smile 3GB limit tho Sad
b4rtm4n
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTs home adsl service is fine if you ditch the alcatel "frog" modem.

I changed to a d-link dsl100 pci card and have had near perfect service since.
chris
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the exception of EOL, I know people who used this service

Proxy based, schedule offline etc

http://www.europeonline.com/offers.html
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
flw
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSL is when you need your own line and a consistant bandwith to the net. ADSL works well for small or medium businesses but is to too slow for large businesses and too costly for homes.

Cable is when you need cost effective net access that you are willing to not have consistant bandwidth. Cable works well for consumers due to cost but not medium to large companies due to bandwidth.

fastlanwan
ShaolinTiger
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fastlanwan wrote:
ADSL is when you need your own line and a consistant bandwith to the net. ADSL works well for small or medium businesses but is to too slow for large businesses and too costly for homes.

Cable is when you need cost effective net access that you are willing to not have consistant bandwidth. Cable works well for consumers due to cost but not medium to large companies due to bandwidth.

fastlanwan

Sorry but I have to *totally* disagree with everything you've said.

From my real world experience what you've said is basically back to front.

ADSL is the worst option for business as it's sold through a 3rd party and if BT's lines goes down the company justs says its BT nothing we can do.

ADSL goes up to 8MB, how is that not enough for a business?

512k is fine for most businesses, the 2MB ADSL line plenty for medium/large businesses.

ADSL too expensive for home? How did you work that out? Pipex and Plus.net do ADSL for around £23 a month.

Cheaper than even cable.

Cable generally has a better contention ratio so the bandwidth allocation is more stable than ADSL.

I've had cable in numerous places and believe me I max the bandwidth constantly. I've never had a problem with contention and always get max bandwidth.

For home use Cable gets betters contention and a more stable service (apart from the NTL and BY webcache which are shit) but if you use a different webcache they are far better than ADSL.

Leased line is best for business, cable best for home.

ADSL may improve, but at present cable is the best choice.

Shaolin
flw
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you noticed, but I said ADSL is good for small and medium size business and not large which woud requrie a T-1 or T-3 land lines.

Depending on where you live in the U.S, ADSL is more expensieve than cable per month and for installation if available at all.

It depends on where you live and your needs.

So looking at my original post and your follow on post, I thank we can agree :> it depends.

fastlanwan
Dose
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 8:26 pm    Post subject: Cable vs ADSL Reply with quote

Just a note. If you have a cable modem and are looking for more speed. Over here in the US they govern down the speed to 3m down and 270k up. However, You realy don't even get that. There is a sight www.speedguide.net that have a tcp/ip prog that when you run this it optomizes your setting in the win reg. I have tried this with my cable modem and whent from 1210kbs down to 3215 kbs down. If this is realy working on my machine I don't know. I am not a guru like some of you in this forum. But I have learned alot from reading your replys. If someone could try it and test this prog. Please let me know if this realy works. Thxs Dose
chris
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive seen a few of these, more seem to be for dialup tweeking MTU settings and similar.

I found since going to windows 2000 over 98/ME my dialup connections were more stable / better connections even with beta drivers for a pretty crap modem.

Little bit dubious about these for broadband connections, as I seem to be getting the theoretical max at the moment anyway.

-What OS are you using?
-Ethernet or USB

Whats the full URL to the program
Dose
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have xp pro and are using ethernet connection I have a GI surfboard modem SB3100. Like I stated earlyer I think that sight helped me out but Not sure. The worse thing that happens I have to format again. He he he...
big tom
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 11:52 pm    Post subject: phine lones Reply with quote

adsl can slow down a lot when you on the phone aswell, where as cable dunt

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: