• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

MS Access sorting problems

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Databases

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jf0027
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: MS Access sorting problems Reply with quote

Hi, i need to sort a table in access and nothing seems to work so far. Here's the deal. I have a delimited text file that i import to a table. That file is not sorted. What i want to do is sort the table to make modification later. The thing is i want to use VBA coding to do this. So far, the DAO Recordset sort method did not work. I can select a sorted table from the original one, but i dont know how to apply it over the original.

Any ideas?
larsmhansen
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot sort tables in Access. Records always remain in the same order as they were entered. You can temporarily apply a sort to view the record in the order of your choice, but you cannot actually re-order the order of the records.

And, now to contradict myself, you can sort a table in Access, but it takes some work. Essentially, you need to create a query that takes the original data, sorts in to your needs and then puts this data into a new table. The new table will then be "sorted". Delete the old table, and rename the new...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jf0027
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I convince my teamate that it wasn't necessary that the table had to be physically sorted. So i only applied the "select order by" statement, did what i needed to do on the table and it worked.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Databases All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: