• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Is Verizon DSL worth it?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryansutton
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you switch it would good to call their support or sales office and find out how far you are from their central office (CO). They sell DSL if you are anywhere within 18,000 feet of the CO. IMO I would not sign if if you are farther than aprox. 12,000 feet as you may have connection issues. Also, as far as I know Verizon is a 1st tier DSL provider, which is in your favor.
hax0r26
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hello, I am thinking of switching from Comcast to Verizon DSL. Does anyone have DSL from Verizon and how is it?

I currently have an ADSL 5.0mb account from EMBARQ. How many MB is your account? 1.5. 3.0 5.0 etc...?

Cable connection = shares connection with people in the neighboor hood.

Quote:
Before you switch it would good to call their support or sales office and find out how far you are from their central office (CO). They sell DSL if you are anywhere within 18,000 feet of the CO. IMO I would not sign if if you are farther than aprox. 12,000 feet as you may have connection issues.

They typically hook up the DSLAM at the CO to support DSL service for lines terminating at the CO so this really wouldnt be an issue. Wink

I'll be honest I have ADSL but I would perfer to have cable internet (only because I never had it) only ADSL.
ryansutton
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hax0r26 wrote:

Cable connection = shares connection with people in the neighboor hood.

This is true, although you have to put it in perspective. I have had cable for the past five years and I almost *always* get 3Mbps+, even during peak hours.

hax0r26 wrote:

They typically hook up the DSLAM at the CO to support DSL service for lines terminating at the CO so this really wouldnt be an issue. Wink

Exactly, this is why distance matters. Since the DSLAM is in the CO, the distance from your house to the CO will affect your download speeds. For more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSLAM

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: