• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Can anyone tell me how to get a faster connection speed?????

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamieRascal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Can anyone tell me how to get a faster connection speed????? Reply with quote

Hello hope you can help!!

I am trying to get a faster connection speed to the internet but i dont know how, i am on madasafish and i connect at 31.2Kbps i once connected at 115.5Kbps i have only done that about 2 times, can anyone tell me how to keep connecting at that speed??????

Thanx!! Very Happy

Jamie!! Laughing
Jason
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it DSL? IDSN?

How did you obtain your connection speed statistics?
ShaolinTiger
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone tell me how to get a faster connection speed? Reply with quote

JamieRascal wrote:
Hello hope you can help!!

I am trying to get a faster connection speed to the internet but i dont know how, i am on madasafish and i connect at 31.2Kbps i once connected at 115.5Kbps i have only done that about 2 times, can anyone tell me how to keep connecting at that speed??????

Thanx!! Very Happy

Jamie!! Laughing

That's quite slow but normal for dialup. I connect at 42,000bps, you can't actually connect at 115,200, that's just a theoretical maximum for the port.

You can try and get something like Internet Turbo, that can help your connection.
JamieRascal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know what it is! it's an internal modem, it is a 56K, and it aint ISDN

Jamie! Laughing
ShaolinTiger
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh Mhz pretty much covered everything except that you can ask for the gain on your line to be increased slightly, this can sometimes boost connection speed.

Also if you have a very long extension from the main POTS, or lots of phones plugged in it will degrade the signal.
Jason
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard email we send out about this sort of thing:

Quote:
The normal reason for slow connections has very little to do with your service provider and a lot to do with the modem, drivers and telephone line you are using.

There are several things you can try to see if you can improve this connection speed.

1. Update the modem drivers to the latest available version from your modem manufacturers website.

2. Remove any splitters or extension leads that are in between your computer and a BT fitted telephone socket in your house.

3. Contact BT on 150 and ask them to run a line check on your line and see if there is a physical line fault or a noisy phone line. Also ask them to increase the gain on the line as this will send the signals through at a slightly higher volume and your modem may be able to pick up the signals easier.

4. Unplug everything else that is connected to the phone-line except the modem and try connecting again and see if something that you have connected to the line (sky box, phone, fax or anything) could be affecting it.

5. Ensure you are not overloading your phone line and the total REN of all devices connected to the phone line does not exceed 4. Ren is a Ringer Equivalence Number that shows how much current each device draws from the line. It is clearly marked on all BABT approved telephony equipment.

If all else fails,

6. Take your modem to a local computer shop along with all leads and ask them to test it to see if it is working properly and if it is v.90 compatible.
TinTin
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:24 am    Post subject: topic Reply with quote

Jason,

I must be one of the exceptionally lucky ones,

I've got a standard BT line with 2 extensions into it, one of them is my fax machine (which has been really handy within the last few weeks)

But to be honest, I've always been able to plug in and get a constant minimum 49.2 kbps (the only exception is daytime).

Just waiting for my exchange to hit trigger level Wink
flw
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just clarify the difference between connect speed and actual sustained speed.

Connect is for a brief period of time, which you will not exceed during that session. Sustained speed is the speed of how fast you can download files or web pages. This speed will typically change as each file or page is downloaded which is why you can notice things speed up and then might slow back down. That is the speed you notice, not the connection speed.
MUM
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 2:09 am    Post subject: DRIVERS DRIVER Reply with quote

Always update your Drivers It help me , im 56k and I was running 33bps till I up dated my Smart link 56 voice modem drivers .. now im running at 44 bps.The way I did this is ZE. on you bottom tool bar next to the two little computers ..right CLICK the two red light (hope you got them ) it should tell you which modem youve got look for the box for driver updates ...check the site out and load then ...good luck ..mum

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: