• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Is this safe?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
the.xif
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Is this safe? Reply with quote

I am connecting to the internet through an application called tor, which is using an application called privoxy, to keep me anonymous. [I know this is keeping me relatively safe.] - Let's say I'm browsing illegal websites and contributing to them using software that keeps me anonymous.

At the same time, I am using other programs, such as msn messenger, to talk to my friends. I have not configured these programs to keep my IP secure, and I'm not using any anonymizing software.

If the account names for the illegal website and for my msn messenger account were the same, and someone wanted to hack me, might they be able to find a link of some sort from my account on illegal websites to my msn messenger account? If they did, would they be able to get my computer's IP address?

Thanks for the help,
the.xif

Also, this is purely theoretical. I'm not a member of any illegal websites, I'm purely interested in websec.
Yeprem
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone is chatting with you on MSN, they can definitely get your IP addresses. External and internal.

It's better if you just stop going to illegal websites and contributing to them.
hnprabhu
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People rarely use raw internet. You are using a proxy like most other people.

When you visit illegal sites , the threat is that the site owner might upload a malecious code into your PC , which might result in complete exposure of your PC...like trozans do.

regards

Prabhu
opensky
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The diskless solution may help in this case, ie. to run the OS in ram. You just need to reboot the computer after internet surfing, then all records of browsing are eliminated.
julycheng
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

opensky wrote:
The diskless solution may help in this case, ie. to run the OS in ram. You just need to reboot the computer after internet surfing, then all records of browsing are eliminated.

yes,If we have such technology,we can don't afraid about these question ,but,when do we have these productions
PhiBer
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diskless or not, it may still be possible to track you down. A simple exploit to your unpatched diskless solution can give out your true IP address and, should you be negligent in your browsing habits (i.e. using identifying factors such as a name or credit card number), you may incriminate yourself even further.

Yes, a diskless solution might destroy all evidence, but identifying factors could potentially give authorities the warrant needed to prosecute you.
julycheng
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhiBer wrote:
Diskless or not, it may still be possible to track you down. A simple exploit to your unpatched diskless solution can give out your true IP address and, should you be negligent in your browsing habits (i.e. using identifying factors such as a name or credit card number), you may incriminate yourself even further.

Yes, a diskless solution might destroy all evidence, but identifying factors could potentially give authorities the warrant needed to prosecute you.

of course,If the diskless solution have identifying factors could potentially give authorities the warrant needed to prosecute you ,that the have the disk ever more.all of us know that diskless made date more secure.
Dan.M
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's two problems you need to overcome when trying to stay anonymous:

1) Your IP can be tracked
2) Your identity. can be compromised via your PC or its applications

Solving issue #1 is easier than solving problem #2. You can solve #1 by using Tor or any other anonymizing service (*cough*) but to solve #2 you need constant vigilance.

By "constant vigilance" I mean clearing out your browser cache and cookies after each surfing session (or using another means to ensure they're not compromised--i.e. don't use Windows and/or use an encrypted partition). Also: Make sure you don't use the same email/username on the sites which you wish to remain anonymous at.

Here's some examples of how you might be compromised via careless habits:
  • You use the same very unique username on your instant messenger as you do on an "illegal site" (Note: No site is illegal. Only certain content is).
  • You enter identifying information at illegal sites (i.e. your AIM handle)
  • You login to a site (or use some other Internet service) via your real IP and then switch to an anonymous IP without first deleting your browser cache/cookies.

So the key is to stay vigilant and to understand what compromises your identity. It isn't easy: You could slip up one day and login to a site without first connecting to that anonymous VPN service. You could have your PC broken into (Note: Running Windows?). Someone you know who knows of your activities could inadvertently tell a law enforcement officer at a bar what you've been up to (not that I've heard of that happening =).

Stay informed, stay cool, and stay anonymous.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: