• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

What is a Firewall and Intrusion Detection System?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Firewalls // Intrusion Detection - External Security

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mvpriyank
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: What is a Firewall and Intrusion Detection System? Reply with quote

Hi!!

Can anyone please explain me "What is a Firewall and Intrusion Detection System?" in a easiest,simplest and shortest way..............

I would be very happy and thankful to everyone who ever would post reply......
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please stop asking your homework questions.

It is clear that this and other threads all relate back to the fact that you have to do a talk about network security for your college course, a subject which you seem to know insufficient about.

How about doing what students are supposed to do - study. Then if you want to come back and ask questions about what you learned and seek clarification, that's fine.
mvpriyank
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Hey!! Reply with quote

Why the heck u are writing every where homework....
Do u know there is no network security subject in my syllabus at present...
I have not asked any question related to my homework..
One way i am trying to study about network security and u are dicouraging me so much.......
Ur suggestins where a bit good but why do speak this way.. i think u are............ leave it....Evil or Very Mad
Ipsec Espah
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey!! Reply with quote

mvpriyank an important part of learning is knowing when to ask questions. You're supposed to ask a question when you weren't able to find the answer yourself. From the questions you're asking, it's clear you haven't even tried to figure out the answer on your own.
rossonieri#1
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What is a Firewall and Intrusion Detection System? Reply with quote

mvpriyank wrote:
Hi!!

Can anyone please explain me "What is a Firewall and Intrusion Detection System?" in a easiest,simplest and shortest way..............

I would be very happy and thankful to everyone who ever would post reply......

hi,

first - i can only explain a network firewall and NIDS/NIPS.
maybe others can help you with the host-based.

"Common" Firewall term refers to a way to filter network communication in layer-4 (transport layer of OSI model : TCP/UDP), L3 (packet/IP) or L2 (MAC-address).

NIDS/NIPS is a way to detect/alert and or prevent an anomaly or incorrect format data transaction based-on application transaction signature (mostly work in Layer-7 of OSI model).

But - nowadays they seems "almost" to work both in the same manner - because of their listening behavior. Firewall sees all network traffic and so does IDS/IPS.

HTH.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Firewalls // Intrusion Detection - External Security All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: