• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Fileserver monitoring or loging software.

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Software

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yeprem
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Fileserver monitoring or loging software. Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

Can anyone suggest a server software that can keep a log of all activity on a Windows fileserver? Basically I need to audit file moves, deletions, copies, etc.. and the user who performed the action.

Thanks,
Yeprem
dveuve
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used System Change Log with success. It's cheap, and may not scale well in larger enterprises, but it does server as an effective Windows logging tool, that converts the somewhat inscrutable windows audit log messages into something that actually makes sense. As I look at it now, it hasn't been updated in something like two years, so if you're looking to deploy something on a large scale, or to support Server 2008, you'd probably want to look elsewhere, but if you're trying to monitor one server 2003 system, it's cheap, easy to setup, and effective. http://www.greyware.com/software/systemchangelog/
Yeprem
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dveuve for the link. Actually, for now I do only need it for one server running Windows 2003, but I would like something that saves the information to a database.

I could import the logs to a SQL db, but if something is out there that saves straight to the db, great.
dveuve
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One possibility would be to use something like Lasso to connect to a linux syslog-ng server, but that would probably introduce huge amounts of unnecessary complexity. Windows file monitoring, in general, happens through the event viewer, which is notoriously difficult to manage without a reasonably expensive product. Microsoft System Center Operations Manager (the new version of Microsoft Operations Manager) could probably do that, and it would also do a lot more, but it's definitely a more significant investment. There is probably something else out there that is more targeted to what you need, though.
Yeprem
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I found to do the job. Works for me. Made a quick web interface to search the db and get a report out of it.

http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/3515886

Thanks everyone.
Yeprem

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Software All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: