• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Text spammer fined £40k

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Text spammer fined £40k Reply with quote

Nice to see stuff happening about this, ive never had a major problem with text spam but mates have and its very misleading.

Quote:

A Gibraltar-based premium-rate spam text operator has been fined a total of £40,000 ($63,000) for breaching guidelines.

Premium-rate phone service regulator ICSTIS ruled against Kast Investment Ltd in three separate instances dishing out fines totalling £40,000 after it received complaints about an unsolicited text telling UK punters they had been selected to receive a "£400 reward".

However, people could only claim their "reward" if they called a premium rate number.

ICSTIS ruled that Kast Investments failed to state all the costs involved in redeeming the prize or the duration of the call.

The watchdog was also unhappy that Kast Investments also implied that the text was from the recipient's own mobile phone network rather than a third party.

Slapping on the fine ICSTIS also barred the operators from running the service for a year.

Separately, ICSTIS will shortly be issuing new proposed guidelines for premium-rate text services. And it's clear that the regulator is keen to take a tough stand on spam texts.

In its latest bulletin ICTSIS says: "Despite ambiguity in the law, there was almost universal agreement... that those responsible for unsolicited text message promotions should face severe sanctions."

Source - theregister
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ShaolinTiger
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I do get these now and then every couple of weeks..

It pisses me off aswell because I don't have many mates so when I get an SMS it's quite exciting and when I get one of these it just says:

"You have won £10,000, ring 0900 696969 to claim it now!!" Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: