• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Logistic map and randomness

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Cryptographic Theory and Cryptanalysis - Internal and Transmission Security

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mazing82
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Logistic map and randomness Reply with quote

I've read that the logistic map can be used to generate random numbers for K=4 (chaos regime)

x_n+1 = K*x_n*(1-x_n)

The logistic map for K=4 is isomorphic to the tent map. However, orbits in the tent map are non-periodic only for irrational initial values (x_0). For rational x_0, the tent map generates always periodic orbits.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LogisticMapR=4.html

My question is, is this the case also for the logistic map with K=4?. In that case, all orbits would be periodic, because computers can only handle rational numbers, and therefore x_0 must be a rational number.
Gingerdave
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it wrong that I understand the individual words, put not the post as a whole? Embarassed
mazing82
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gingerdave wrote:
is it wrong that I understand the individual words, put not the post as a whole? Embarassed

Probably not Very Happy. I'm not a native English speaker, so probably I didn't explain myself clearly.

In a few words:

x_n+1 = 4 * x_n * (1-x_n) is the logistic map in the chaotic regime (K=4)

let's suppose x_0 is a rational number (the initial value of x).

Is the orbit of x_0 periodic or non-periodic? (i.e. does it repeat itself or not?)
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect the problem is more that Dave is not a native crypto-speaker rather than issues with the English language. Me neither, unfortunately.

As they say - you know when the crypto-mafia are out to get you - they make you an offer you can't understand.
Pillow Whisperer
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: hey Reply with quote

well since computers are finite state machines then yes it'll have to repeat therefore periodic. furthermore since this 'random' number generator generates its value from a constant and with a formula its pseudo random, therefore by definition again its periodic it might be a long period but it is periodic. if you plug in the same seed you'll get the same output stream.
mazing82
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: hey Reply with quote

Pillow Whisperer wrote:
well since computers are finite state machines then yes it'll have to repeat therefore periodic. furthermore since this 'random' number generator generates its value from a constant and with a formula its pseudo random, therefore by definition again its periodic it might be a long period but it is periodic. if you plug in the same seed you'll get the same output stream.

Indeed, it's pseudo-random, but that does not mean it is periodic. For instance, the sequence 0.1, 0.01, 0.001, ... it's definitely not random, but it's not periodic either.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Cryptographic Theory and Cryptanalysis - Internal and Transmission Security All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: