• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Undeliverable messages recieved but mail never sent?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shineysideup
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Undeliverable messages recieved but mail never sent? Reply with quote

Hi Folks

Looking for a little guidance here.
A few of our users have been getting "undeliverable" messages sent to them for emails that they never sent?

Looking at the one of the messages it looks as if the message came from that email address but the name of the user is totally different. This has been happening for a few days now and the only major change that I can think of here is that out ISP recently changed out static IP address so I then had to get the group hosting our domian to change the record there for the mail server.

Now when I got the mailserver record changed over I was informed by the ISP that the new IP address that we had was a backup IP address so therefore I got the domain hosts to add the new ip address as a backup ip address. I was then informed yby our ISP that the so called backup IP address was now our only IP address. I then had to get the original IP address removed from our mail records by the domain hosting company. We are now using one IP address but we did have two mail IP addresses for about 4 days. Not sure if any of that is relevent but I thought I would add it just in case.

All AV/Security S/ware is up to date.

Ideas/Comments/Suggestions??

Thanks
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone somewhere in the world is sending spam
they are sending it with a false "from" address so they don't get all the non-deliverable reports
one of the fake addresses belongs to your user so they are getting NDRs for email they never sent.
delete them, ignore them and move on, there's pretty much nothing you can do to stop this happening.
shineysideup
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I was thinking as much but it just seemed a bit strange that this is happening with several users and it all started at the same time as we made the change over with the Public IP addresses.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: