• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

name server question (ubuntu)

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zombiejones
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: name server question (ubuntu) Reply with quote

I am not very good at security, so I just noticed this "problem" today, a couple of months after moving to a new house.
I am using a new ISP at the new place, but I had hard-coded the old name servers into dhclient.conf (and resolv.conf), so I've been bypassing the router and using the "wrong" name servers.
Today I set my firewall to whitelist mode (don't allow all outbound connections) and the blocked events just started to fly by, like four per second, on every different port you could think of, to IPs all around the world.
But after I changed dhclient to get the name server from the router, there are very few outbound connections.
I guess I am happy with the situation now. But I am just curious about what all of that traffic was before. Can someone explain why my computer was sending so many outbound connections?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: