• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Security for a Charity

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Security Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cantthinkofanickname
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Security for a Charity Reply with quote

We have 20 PCs and a Linux server and need to change from Norton as it slows down our PCs by 30%. Any suggestions for another supplier at charity prices welcome. Our Linux is unprotected at the moment and a suggestion there would be welcome. We are in the UK.
PhiBer
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I worked for a nonprofit, we used the following website for charity pricing: www.techsoup.com. Go there to see if you can find some alternative AV software. Good luck!
capi
SF Senior Mod
SF Senior Mod

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the Linux server, what kind of protection are you referring to? What is the server's role?

Generally speaking, I would recommend firewalling the server, closing down unnecessary net-facing services and of course making sure no untrusted binaries get executed.
larsmhansen
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, you're going to have a hard time finding an AV product that performs better. You may need to make some configuration changes to regain some of the performance on your PCs, but having AV protection will always affect the performance on your computers. How much depends on a number of factors, including CPU speed, disk speed and how much memory the computers have.

The Corporate versions of software may be less taxing on the computer. The new release of Symantec Enterprise Protection (Service release 3) are looking a whole lot better than before. That is, if you want to stay with Symantec.

Trend Micros' enterprise solutions are also looking good. We've deployed their newest product with great success.

As a non-profit, you should qualify for discount prices.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cantthinkofanickname
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

larsmhansen wrote:
Unfortunately, you're going to have a hard time finding an AV product that performs better. You may need to make some configuration changes to regain some of the performance on your PCs, but having AV protection will always affect the performance on your computers.

We have the enterprise edition and it had a bug - we had to disable practically all firewall settings to get our email to work. And this was under advice from the support. After 3 hrs of discussion with them they then asked what the product version No. was and then asked us to download the latest version which did not have this problem. Unfortunate, and was partly due to our inexperience, but left me a bit sore.

I see at techsoup W2003 server is cheap. We are in the UK. Does techsoup operate in the UK?
PhiBer
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I see at techsoup W2003 server is cheap. We are in the UK. Does techsoup operate in the UK?
Why not contact them and find out? Wink
cantthinkofanickname
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an alternative approach, does the installation of something like the Cisco 5505 firewall and protection device mean that we do not need any antivirus or internet protection on the internal machines? It uses Trend Micro (I do not know if the licence for that is separate), has VPN, remote user and most of the facilities needed at this point in the network. I do wonder if this sort of device slows outside access down though?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Security Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: