• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

dual password encryption

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Cryptographic Software and Hardware

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pathan
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: dual password encryption Reply with quote

Hi I am new to area so please bare with my explaination of my request/question

We currently role-out desktops and laptops for users and I need to assign them a secure area for their documents. What I need is some data encryption software (or for hard drive) where, when we role out the machines we setup a folder where documents are automatically encrypted with our password (admin). Now the users will have their passwords for their stored files on the secure area. They can push or pull form the secure area with their password. But in order for the admin person/security analyst to get to the secure folder/files I need to just enter the admin password and be able to retrieve the folder/files (without having to know or enter the users password). This request is so because we have users who either lose their passwords or more importantly when an employee leaves the company and they return the laptop they often leave files in the secure area (as well as desktops). so I was wondering is there any software out there that will enable a dual password (one for admin and one for the users).
I hope all that made sense.
Thank you
PhiBer
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might wish to take a look at jungle disk with Amazon.com's S3 storage technology.
Fire Ant
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pathan,

I think you are going about this the wrong way. You do need need a system with dual password encryption at all.

Anyway, what you require is a secure local file storage system, one where administrators can reset users password access to such a system. If you are running Windows then you have one already, its called EFS or Encrypting File System. If you don't like that then PGP have a product called NetShare which does something similar to what you require.

Regards,

Matt_s
pathan
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the info Matt_s.
I will have a look at netshare.
With EFS am I right in saying that you can only set one password for a file to be encrypted ( i may be wrong).
I was looking for something whereby the users can set as many passwords as they like on different files within the secure folder, but when it comes to recovering the files (when passwords are forgotten or users have left the establishment etc) the administrators should be able to open them with just one master password and not resort to using any hacking software.
Also I should have also mentioned this in my first post but is there freebie out there that will encrypt sensitive data onto the web (ie via email)?

Thanks once again for your patience and help.

Regards

Pathan

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Cryptographic Software and Hardware All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: