• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Comparison table for network security scanners

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Security Related Software

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vjy
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Comparison table for network security scanners Reply with quote

All,

I am doing a report on Retina scanner and I would like to include a comparison of Retina with other security scanners like GFI LANguard and others. I tried looking for a comparison, but the ones I found were quite old.

Is there any place where I can find the comparison tables.

Thanks.
vjy
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any suggestions on this?

Thanks.
Angoth
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a shot:

For a former project, I was tasked with the sort of thing you're asking about, but, in a slightly different context. I was asked to prove equivalency between Retina and others. Specifically, ISS and Nessus. Turns out, that it basically can't be done without a serious R&D budget and significant amount of time.

The problem is one of updates and agreeing on a master list of empirical data. If you freeze a moment in time, you can definitively that Retina doesn't have A,B,C and D CVE's currently. At the same time, you can say that Nessus doesn't have E, F, G, and H.

Another problem that popped up was a matter of efficacy. Scan a Linux box with Retina....then with Nessus. While Retina has Linux vulnerabilities and a list of outdated libraries that it scans for....routinely, you'll just get few or no results from it. Repeat it with a Windows box. The effectiveness of each depends on their target. Some are just better at scanning certain operating systems than others. That's been my experience, your results may vary.

But, then you apply updates and you have to start all over again. At the same time, the CVE's get updated and your list changes....again.

So, in the end, you must establish policy that the one that you've decided to use has these features, *and these faults*, and move on. The other option is to use multiple scanners and merge multiple reports.

I wish you luck doing a meaningful comparison between scanners, though. I really do.

Disclaimer: I've never used GFI.

Angoth
vjy
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Angoth for your reply.

Actually I managed to talk with a Retina sales person and he gave me couple of comparison documents (though little partial to Retina). I have the comparisons. In case if you need them, I can send it. I am not sure how I can upload any files here though.

Thanks again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Security Related Software All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: