• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

PGP Software Recommendations

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Cryptographic Software and Hardware

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fortressjc
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: PGP Software Recommendations Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I tried the PGP Desktop 9.5.2 trial and it runs really slowly on two of the computers I installed it on. The features are great and I was planning to continue using it, but the slowness really turned me off.

I also tried using GnuPG, but it wasn't the right fit. I encountered some problems with GPGee (Windows shell extension) not recognizing some keys on the keychain. The Outlook 2003 extension (GPGol) also doesn't fit my tastes because there is no way to disable encryption. Encryption is either always on or always off.

I also tried using FileAssurity's OpenPGP software, but the interface was not very clean and the functionality was not very user-friendly.

Does anybody know of any other programs that you can recommend? The two things I want to do are to encrypt and decrypt files and emails.

Thanks, everybody!
EricPuryear
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest Thunderbird with the Enigmail plugin and GPG. I put together a quick how-to, but the process is so simple that you probably won't need to read it: http://bitsecurity.org/gpg_mail.html
[/url]
drop_pods
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i personally dont use the email part of pgp for the simple fact dont have anyone important enough to use it for lol but i do use pgpdisk and pgp encryption a lot
EricPuryear
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drop_pods wrote:
well i personally dont use the email part of pgp for the simple fact dont have anyone important enough to use it for lol but i do use pgpdisk and pgp encryption a lot

Smile Same here on the importance part , but I see that as all the more reason to use PGP for email, just like how I'm logged in to this site over HTTPS instead of HTTP. If people only encrypt their sensitive emails or web sessions, then attackers have an easier job identifying the important emails and sessions, while if we all use encryption all the time, then the attackers will have a harder time.
drop_pods
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but to encypt them all you need to have receptacles that can decrypt it not alway useable unless you are inside a corporate environment with a central email server to encrypt and decrypt
EricPuryear
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drop_pods wrote:
yeah but to encypt them all you need to have receptacles that can decrypt it not alway useable unless you are inside a corporate environment with a central email server to encrypt and decrypt

System such as PGP (and GPG, of course) do not rely on a central server to handle encryption and decryption. Each user maintains exclusive possession of their private key, and gives the public key to those with whom they wish to communicate securely (You can publish your public key to a key server or to your website, but it is not necessary as you can give it directly to those who need it).
drop_pods
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i know but my recants needs to know how to use pgp which isnt my case Sad so if do use pgp i am only able to sign it or else i would get an email back being "how do i read this"
offradarencrypted
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: old version of PGP Reply with quote

I have an old version of PGP (ver.5) included with CD-ROM version of old email software program version 3 of Eudora Mail Pro for Windows or Mac (from 1997).
It can create a PGP key up to 1024bits, and be used to encrypt/decrypt PGP messages. You can buy the old Eudora CDROM used.

Aside from PGP being very complicated to use for an average user
Will an old key from this version be able to play with others today? Can I use this version 5 or would you guys totally NOT RECOMMEND me using it?

also since PGP does
"contain the patented IDEA algorithm. IDEA, although a strong algorithm, is now much slower and weaker than algorithms," as JustinT mentioned here in 2003.
With current speed of processors the speed really isn't an issue in 2009 correct?
Fire Ant
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number of points guys,

1 - EricPuryear, your comment about a central server is not correct. PGP have the Universal Server which acts as a mail gate doing transparent encryption and decryption. I think there are some other vendors out there we well.

2 - fortressjc, version 9.5.2 you need to try the latest version 9.9.1. I use this and have no issues what so ever on both my Mac and my Windows VMs.

You need to ask yourself what are you going to use PGP for? If it is email then you are really relying on everyone else having a PGP key or s/mime certificate to ensure that your emails to them are secure.

Matt_s

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Cryptographic Software and Hardware All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: