• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Microsoft SQL 2005 Stnd Edition Server cluster question

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Databases

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leathal
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Microsoft SQL 2005 Stnd Edition Server cluster question Reply with quote

Looking at the comparison chart from Microsoft on SQL 2005 Server I see that Stnd and Ent both support DB Mirroring and Clustering.

My question about clustering is whether its done the SQL level or OS level? Do I have to install Windows 2003 Server Ent to do the clustering on SQL 2005 or can I use Windows 2003 Server Stnd edition?

If it happens on the SQL level and not OS I guess I need a NIC to connect between the nodes in the cluster and a NIC for the local LAN traffic?

Thanks
Andrew
Fire Ant
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leathal,

There are lots of docs on the Microsoft site about this. SQL mirroring is done at the SQL level using a mirror server and a witness. Not sure what happens at the high end Ent edition though.

Matt_s
Leathal
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt_s wrote:
Leathal,

There are lots of docs on the Microsoft site about this. SQL mirroring is done at the SQL level using a mirror server and a witness. Not sure what happens at the high end Ent edition though.

Matt_s

I am not talking about mirror and witness, I am talking about clustering. If you look at the info on Microsoft's website it clearly states that MS SQL 2005 supports both.

I just need to know if it's a SQL thing or if it's required to have Windows 2003 Server Ent installed for SQL clustering to work? And from what I have seen from the documents on MS's site there isn't really any straight forward YES or NO. Smile

Andrew

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Databases All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: