• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Detect anonymous proxy

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Programming and More

View previous topic :: View next topic  
n1ke
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Detect anonymous proxy Reply with quote

Hi,
is there a way to detect if the client is under anonymous proxy? If there is then please present some code example (PHP, Python etc.).
OddOne
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I do is store visitor information persistently in a database for a short timeframe. I store the IP address, hostname, session ID, web browser's user info string, and HTTP referrer, and then send the session ID to the client as a cookie. When a visitor returns I read their session ID fronm the cookie, restore their session if they've been there before, and compare hosts from the previous visit - if a host changes often for a given visitor it's likely to be a proxied host. I also compare their IP's actual host versus what they're reporting as their host, and if the two differ they're also likely to be behind a proxy.

This works well for the most part but isn't foolproof, as there's no solid and consistently workable means to detect a proxied visitor.

For privacy's sake the info I store is only used for demographics and referral purposes, and the database for it gets autoflushed periodically via cronned script file.

I'm not providing sample code because there are as many ways to do what I do as there are environments to do it in...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Programming and More All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: