• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Begginer need help: Encryption for SUSE 11

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

View previous topic :: View next topic  
c0ca1na
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject: Begginer need help: Encryption for SUSE 11 Reply with quote

Hi, I recently installed SUSE 11 on my laptop and found it incredible fast!!!
I might stick to IT. Problem is : encryption. On my windows XP system I am currently using PGP encryption. Is there a software equivalent for linux. I have googled the problem, and the best thing I could find was TrueCrypt, but I do not trust their protection......

Any suggestions?
Fire Ant
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c0ca1na,

You say you are using PGP but what elements of PGP? If you are using Whole Disk then I suggest you wait as there may be a Linux version coming Wink But TrueCrypt can do the job as well.

If you are using email then have a look at GPG.

Quote:
the best thing I could find was TrueCrypt, but I do not trust their protection.
You can definitely trust this product, its open source and very widely used.

Matt_s
c0ca1na
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for tour fast response. The reason "I do not trust" True Crypt is not because it is an open source, but because I read some articles about it been cracked (opposite to PGP whole disk which so far proved invincible).

The reason I am using encryption is to make the data on my HDD unavailable to anyone , including police etc.......
BluePass
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may have been an older version of TrueCrypt, but as far as I know TrueCrypt has never been cracked and is still secure. It uses AES which is still considered secure. TrueCrypt will also encrypt the entire hard drive -- including operating system, partition table, etc. -- which is every bit as secure as PGP Whole Disk Encryption.
rlong
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will also vouch for TrueCrypt. However, regardless of the security of the encryption itself, legal trends must be taken into account when considering such a blunt data protection strategy as whole disk encryption.

In October, 2007, Part 3, Section 49 of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act came into effect in the UK. This allows officers to demand encryption keys, on penalty of jail time, in the course of criminal and terror investigations. More recently, and more importantly for those of us in North America, U.S. District Judge William Sessions has ruled that a suspect does not have a 5th amendment right to keep his files encrypted. We should all be watching to see how this one turns out.

In light of these legal trends, it is important to consider another avenue of data protection: steganography. While steg is more cumbersome to use and does not protect large amounts of data (i.e whole disk) as well as encryption, if it is implemented correctly, your sensitive data will be totally invisible rather than obvious but unreadable. Depending on the sensitivity of your data and the risk of discovery/disclosure, it may be beneficial to implement a steganographic solution or a combination of steg and encryption. I hope this is helpful

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: