• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Mac botnet (iBotnet maybe?)

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh

View previous topic :: View next topic  
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Mac botnet (iBotnet maybe?) Reply with quote

has anyone else seen this in the news?

Basically some AV vendors etc have found "a botnet" on Macs only. Seems to string from people downloading illegal copies of Office 2008, iWork09 and Photoshop CS4 from warez sites and installing them along with a little present of a trojan.

My take on this one:
- firstly it's illegal software so what do you expect
- secondly I don't think the numbers discussed in some articles are anywhere near true considering the vectors (one article mentioned 200,000 macs infected!)
- thirdly it's not a fault of any OS / security / AV system but the owners themselves

oh and finally - all the articles I've read are very light on actual technical details so I will file this under F for FUD until then.
Fire Ant
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read it this morning as well. I was a bit disappointed by the lack of technical details as well. I totally agree with your points.

It was only a matter of time though before this was going to happen. I still think this is very niche though.

Matt_s
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as you said, it's supposedly stemming from illegally downloaded software. from that standpoint alone, i'm not sure i feel sorry at all for infected users. i've done my fair share of downloading cracked/illegal software but it seems like it should be common sense to do *something* to find out whether or not there is anything going on behind the scenes. i used to use "little snitch" but since i got out of illegal software i've stopped running it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: