• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

how to collaboratively maintain encrypted information

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Cryptographic Software and Hardware

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thisissean
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject: how to collaboratively maintain encrypted information Reply with quote

I have a use-case for which I can not find a solution. I'm wondering if anyone knows of one...

I work with a group of people on projects that require us to share sensitive information with each other, (mostly credentials to servers and databases and whatnot). We would like to maintain this sensitive information in a centralized fashion while persevering security. The ideal system would meet the following goals:

• users can write new information for other users to read
  • when one user updates some of the information, other users will have access to the updated information without requiring manual notification of the update
  • granting access for a new user to read/write information is easy and does not affect other users. (Note: we don't actually need to differentiate between read privileges and write privileges.)
  • granting a user access to SOME but not all of the information is possible and straightforward. (This is important.) Maybe pieces of information can be tagged with roles and each user can have multiple roles.
  • revoking access from a user is easy and does not affect other users
  • any network traffic containing the information is encrypted
  • unencrypted information is not stored on users' machines (it can be stored encrypted on users' machines, or not stored on users' machines at all)
  • the system uses free/open-source software
  • users are able to use the system from OSX 10.3+, Linux, and Windows XP

Please post any ideas for how to accomplish these goals. Thanks!
Fire Ant
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can offer a piece of software which can fulfill most of your requirements, PGP NetShare.

It is not however free/open source and it is a Windows only product. Other than that you are onto a winner.

Matt_s

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Cryptographic Software and Hardware All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: