• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Remembering All IT Stuff

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Chat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pratikvora
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Remembering All IT Stuff Reply with quote

I have something that really is bugging me.
Off All the IT related stuff that is there,Is it possible to remember everything.Or Everything that you r working with.

Is it just me or others R Also having the same problem.
killabee
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the person. I've noticed that there are mainly two "classes" of people -- those that know several things in depth (and are experts at it), and those that know many more things, but know them very broadly (they aren't experts). The "best" would probably depend in the environment that you work in. Being the generalist allows you to be the jack-of-all trades.

The best way to apply something to long term memory is to constantly review the information or apply the information in the real world. However, for every decision made, there's a sacrifice. The sacrifice for striving to memorize everything about IT could be a loss in one's social life/personal development.

IT is a huge field, and you definitely can't learn and remember everything in depth.
maguire_michael
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well explained killabee....And its actually true that " The "best" would probably depend in the environment that you work in." I have seen people working for yrs knows less than those who have worked for lesser time.. They themselves admit that its becoz of the environment and the kind of work carried out in that company...
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thought is that "jack-of-all-trades" tends to be IT grunts, whereas "experts" of a few things tends to be consultants. The system seems to work well in this fashion.
Cerberus2k7
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better hope you have some super brain. Very Happy

Most of the time you will remember what you use, and everything else will be kicked to the back burner or you will somehow adapt other aspects to better streamline what you're doing. Sure you may have a general grasp of a subject you rarely use, or if you haven't used a certain skill it might come back to you with a bit of practice but there is so much that goes into IT/hardware/software whatever you want to look at that it's AFAIK impossible to remember ALL of it. Could get a very general idea of a large majority with the technology, but everything is evolving so quickly you would never have any time to do anything and you wouldn't really be any good at anything. You would just be...there...
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless you've got perfect recall then you're never going to remember everything to do with IT. As one of the other posters says you'll remember what you use regularly but the rest will fade so a good way to have quick access to this knowledge is to write it down somewhere and be able to search for it quickly. Personally I use a note taking application for project work and general tricks and tips I run across. simply writing it down helps it stick in my memory more but being able to quickly search for it is so much easier than trawling through the web / google.
Ellysha
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also an IT person, so far my brain memory is doing just fine, but to remember everything seems really impossible for me, so what I do is take notes and when I needed to recall something, that's the time I get my handy notes.
PhiBer
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember everything? No. Keep up to date and continue learning about the latest technology? Yes!

As a consultant, your biggest asset is not knowing everything, but knowing where to go to find what you need.

Take for example new software. You can become an expert on Exchange 2007 but unfortunately, your "knowledge" won't be as useful once Exchange 2010 comes out.

Technology is progressing at such a fast pace that "remembering everything" is not very beneficial. Being exposed to a lot of IT technologies and having the ability to quickly learn and adapt to new technology is indeed very beneficial.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: