• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

do you ever get that feeling....?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Chat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: do you ever get that feeling....? Reply with quote

that you want to walk away and do something else with your life sometimes? i just had what was supposed to be a routine office move for one of our clients which turned into three days of hoping the last good backup was as good as the software told me it was Rolling Eyes

it all started with shutting down the server to add some new hardware (eSATA card). turned the server back on, it gave me an error that one drive in my raid5 was in a fail state. went in, tried to bring the drive back up and it supposedly worked, but the server would no longer boot to the OS. Evil or Very Mad a couple chat sessions and a phone call to dell later, they tell me i rebuilt the array incorrectly (even though a previous tech gave me the same instructions that i followed and it worked every time but this one Confused ).

so what should have been "install this card and bring the server to the new office" turned into "pray like hell that this server is operational by this morning so that they can go back to work without any (other) delays". ironically, the backup from the night before was the first good backup in *months* but it missed the information store. luckily, the exchange databases were on a different array or else i'd probably be out on the street right now...

so, ever have those days where you think it'd be easier to do just about *anything* besides what you're doing now?
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: do you ever get that feeling....? Reply with quote

Ouch, sounds like a nice one! The last proper office move I did probably peaked at the wiring - unbeknownst to me, the boss had got the electrical contractor to get "a mate" to do the cat5 install. I walked into the comms room to find the patch cabinet was right in the middle of the room! Quick inspection later found that cables had been taped together if they were too short or used choc-blocks instead. Funnily enough it took 6 weeks to get all the bugs out of the cabling which was a whole new level of frustrating!

moondoggie wrote:
so, ever have those days where you think it'd be easier to do just about *anything* besides what you're doing now?
Yep. I'm going to Costa Rica to learn to surf over Christmas. Might not come back ..... Wink
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, here we go again. 8 hours into a fax server upgrade and probably 2 hours to go assuming everything goes well and i don't have to figure out how to make this work after the conversion is done. Rolling Eyes the local time is now 1am and i'm expected to be up and working at 8am tomorrow. oh well, back to the grind. this has not been the best of weeks...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: