• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

What to Buy?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Chat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarMol
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: What to Buy? Reply with quote

I have to get a new computer because I currently run Windows 2000 which is not being supported any longer. My question is that there are so many choices, I'm totally confused. I wanted to get XP because I believe most companie's utilize that and I would need it for work. My friend is trying to talk me into Vista (I know that will be replaced in October by Windows 7) but I've just heard awful things about Vista. What do I do? I'm afraid if I do get XP, that it too will be phased out soon because it's been around a couple of years already and this is what Microsoft tends to do in order to sell new programs, so they'll probably put out a newer version of XP *sigh* Rolling Eyes Also, I'm torn between Dell vs. HP? They say that Dell's C.S. is a nightmare but I'm thinking HP's C.S. is probably just as bad? Any suggestions/advice would sure help. Thanks much, Carly.
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought a Dell laptop for $700 and received it yesterday. It is running Vista, and although a bit differant than XP; so far it has proven dependable. I am looking forward to the free Windows 7 upgrade in October ... but must say that after several years of using Compaq laptops, I find this Dell quite nice.
nailz
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A close friend of mine's father works at Brown University heading up the C.S. department so he got us both a version of Windows 7 to test out. While I have ditched microsoft long ago to pursue linux and unix operating systems I must say that Windows 7 was a pleasure to use. It's smooth, reliable, system friendly and just all around ran wonderfully. My advice would be to wait for Windows 7 to come out because it does run quite wonderfully.

also why restrict yourself to major manufacturers? I've owned 1 dell and 1 hp and would never ever purchase a system from either manufacturer again.

look at cyberpowerpc.com they build wonderful systems...powerful and reliable. I have purchased 2 machines through them since they were founded and they are a wonderful company.
CarMol
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you for replying to me. I think I'll wait until October and get Windows 7 - my only fear is that it will have the same bugs in it that Vista had when it was released...even though W7 is supposed to have fixed all the problems that were in Vista...I still see problems ahead. I guess it doesn't matter to me because I don't know how to use XP so if everyone will have W7 eventually, it makes sense to get the W7. But I'm wondering, if in the workplace, they still all use XP (because I remember when Vista first appeared, buinesses refused to change over their whole operating systems when XP worked perfectly well.) So, I don't know if that has now changed in the workplace? Also, I see that they are packaging a "Home & Office Student 2007" that has Word/PowerPoint/Excel. Is that the latest versions...or the same versions that come with an XP operating system? Totally confusing Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: