• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Laptop Disk Repair/Diag

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Hardware // Upgrades

View previous topic :: View next topic  
billander
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Laptop Disk Repair/Diag Reply with quote

I've got a laptop with a hard disk that I think is going bad and would like advise for options/tools which can help me do diagnostics and maybe repair or help me to salvage files.
Nonapeptide
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Laptop Disk Repair/Diag Reply with quote

Could you elaborate one what symptoms the hard disk is showing?

The best way to save the data would be simply to clone it with some kind of imaging software and then apply that image to a new hard drive. As far as repairing any potential logical failures on the disc, you could search for a boot CD that has hard disk repair tools on it. Before you attempt any repairs, backup the files first. In fact, once a disk shows signs of failure, treat it like the plague. Transfer all files from it and toss it in the dumpster.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
billander
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't boot to the OS in anyway. So I've been trying to find a boot disk of some kind that would allow me to in some way to transfer the data off or patch bad sectors.
Nonapeptide
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could simply use a Knoppix CD or maybe try this tool out. I've used Knoppix for things like that before but not the second link. There are also forensic Linux based live CDs out there, but you'll need some familiarity with Linux to work with them.

If you can copy the files off of the hard drive, and you still want to attempt a repair, you could try some of the tools on the Ultimate Boot CD.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
billander
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if I can't access the drive? Is there a way I could try and patch bad sectors and see if I can make the drive readable?
Nonapeptide
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billander wrote:
What if I can't access the drive? Is there a way I could try and patch bad sectors and see if I can make the drive readable?

If you can't even see the drive there's a lot more than bad sectors going on. That could mean bad power, fried HD logic board or hopefully something as simple as a bad cable. Can you extract the hard drive and plug it into a different computer or some kind of SATA to USB adapter? Really, if you cna't even see the drive then it's probably time to contact some kind of data recovery service... however those can be quite pricey. Sad
billander
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i shut the system down for like 30 mins, i can access the drive when i boot it up. however, after awhile the system will just lock up and the drive will go into this humming/spin phase and then you pretty much have to shut the system down.

so this obviously would mean a bad drive due to bad sectors? is there anyway to attempt to patch/block the bad sectors?
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go into your BIOS and identify the manufacturer of your drive. Then get access to that manufacturer's Drive Utility CD either by downloading it or ordering it.

LOW LEVEL format the drive after booting from the CD.

This mightfix the problem. If not, then I'd suggest taking the laptop into a shop.
Nonapeptide
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billander wrote:
so this obviously would mean a bad drive due to bad sectors? is there anyway to attempt to patch/block the bad sectors?

Actually, that suggests even more strongly that it is a mechanical / physical failure of some kind with the drive. Bad sectors would not cause that kind of behavior. It would cause file system corruption.

Just so you know, if you follow Tom Bair's advice, that would completely destroy all data on the drive. If you want to recover the information you may want to put the hard drive in a plastic, air-tight bag and place it in the refrigerator for a few hours and then plug it back into the computer. From there, boot into a recovered CD of some kind and begin transferring all the files off of it that you can. That drive is a goner and will completely fail in the very near future.
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonapeptide wrote:
Just so you know, if you follow Tom Bair's advice, that would completely destroy all data on the drive. If you want to recover the information you may want to put the hard drive in a plastic, air-tight bag and place it in the refrigerator for a few hours and then plug it back into the computer. From there, boot into a recovered CD of some kind and begin transferring all the files off of it that you can. That drive is a goner and will completely fail in the very near future.

Shame on me for forgetting to mention about all data being erased. I should know better than to leave something like that out.

Actually, Nonapeptide's solution above is the best advice to date, IMO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Hardware // Upgrades All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: