• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

RDP client and Windows key

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh

View previous topic :: View next topic  
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: RDP client and Windows key Reply with quote

I've been using my Leopard based MacBook to do a little server work of late using microsoft's RDP client for mac. All's going well apart from one really really annoying thing - every now and then the remote machine thinks I'm holding the windows key down all the time!

understandably this is a touch annoying to say the least.

I've had a quick search round the web but can't find much if any info on this. Anyone run into this before? heard of a solution? got a better rdp client for mac to windows than the MS one?!
Sherman Homan
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microsoft's Macintosh RDC is pretty good, none better that I know of. The Windows key problem sounds unique! I use Tiger (OS 10.4) and Leopard (OS 10.5) to RDC into Server 2003 machines and the only problem I have is dropped connections that don't get cleared. They just add up in the list of active clients counting against the license limit.
vosh
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm...interesting...

<edit: although this one liner was a pretty pointless post on a very old thread, I have left it in place so it does not make the later posts look even more bizarre. AdamV, SFDC Moderator>
Nonapeptide
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: RDP client and Windows key Reply with quote

Does this happen in conjunction with locking the remote Windows machines using Windows + "L" (or rather, CTRL + L in your case)? What version of the Mac RDP client are you using?

You could try CoRD or TSClientX, but methinks this is an issue with the version of RDP that is being used on the Mac.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue seemed to self-resolve eventually so no idea what the root cause was.
Nonapeptide
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "sticky" Windows key in a RDP session is fairly common in Vista with RDP 6. I had the same problem frequently. Here are some references:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/winserverTS/thread/cbaae74e-8311-4a46-a842-31dcdd6878dc/
http://www.thincomputing.net/blog/sticky-windows-key-in-rdp-6-client-for-vista-resolved-2.html

Is there a newer version of the Remote Desktop client that you can use on your Mac?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the info, Wes. Haven't heard of it in Windows but then it is Vista I suppose Wink

The original issue was over 18 months ago and hasn't reoccurred for over a year now so I've been through many updates on my Mac - everything from the RDP client to updating to the latest issue of the OS so it could have been anything. As I said it seemed to self-resolve not long after it appeared so I didn't look into it any further.
Nonapeptide
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

graycat wrote:
The original issue was over 18 months ago and hasn't reoccurred for over a year now...

I've got to start checking the original posting date of threads. I've never seen a forum that has so many gravediggers resurrecting old threads. I just see the original question and shoot of an answer with nary a glance at the original date. Rolling Eyes
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

easily done but thanks for trying to sort it out anyway. Smile

Whatever happened to the old Mac-ism of "it just works"? Wink lol
Nonapeptide
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

graycat wrote:
Whatever happened to the old Mac-ism of "it just works"? Wink lol
This is all neatly explained when you realize that this is a Microsoft technology that you're having trouble with. Like putting diesel in a gasoline engine.

--typed on my iPhone. Yes wai. =)
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonapeptide wrote:
This is all neatly explained when you realize that this is a Microsoft technology that you're having trouble with. Like putting diesel in a gasoline engine.

--typed on my iPhone. Yes wai. =)

Ah but the phrase was taken over by Mac to highlight the differences between them and the Windows machines. I still find it highly amusing to see people say their Mac (or Windows machine for that matter) hasn't crashed in X years. Either they've not turned the darn thing on or they're not using it! I will grant that I struggle to crash an OS X machine more than say an XP machine (Virus ... sorry, VISTA machines are just too easy). Smile

--typed on my MacBook. Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: