• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Microsoft SBS 2008 Book

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cantthinkofanickname
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Microsoft SBS 2008 Book Reply with quote

I cannot find a forums here dealing with this product. I am looking to get a license for this server and being new to it looking for a book or ebook on it to install from scratch (not upgrade from 2003).

Any advice appreciated.
Nonapeptide
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Microsoft SBS 2008 Book Reply with quote

cantthinkofanickname wrote:
I cannot find a forums here dealing with this product. I am looking to get a license for this server and being new to it looking for a book or ebook on it to install from scratch (not upgrade from 2003).

Any advice appreciated.
I went from zero knowledge of SBS 2008 to implementing and maintaining it by picking through the SBS 2008 Unleashed title. Of course, it helped that I had years of foundational knowledge in a non SBS Active Directory environment. The Unleashed book is thorough and has a chapter on just about every aspect of SBS. It seems to be free of both Microsoft bias and bashing.

There is also a huge community surrounding SBS. A simple search will bring you to many of them. In fact, you might even see me on them occasionally. Smile A lot of good, in-the-trenches information can be found by reading SBS blogs and hanging at the SBS sites and forums.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
cantthinkofanickname
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Nonapeptide I'll look it up and select a couple of Forums.
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without question:
Small Business Server 2008 – Installation, Migration, and Configuration

Written by David Overton who used to be the SBS product evangelist guy for Microsoft UK. He still works at MS in a slightly different role, but is still known to everyone as the UK SBS Guy.
The book was written by him in spare time privately, not as part of MS role, but of course he has the inside track on lots of stuff. Some of the material he used as part of his talk at the recent "Get on the Bus" tour.

All round good bloke too.

Book is packed full of real-world good stuff. Available as eBook or dead tree.
cantthinkofanickname
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamV, thanks for that suggestion. The reviews tend to show it as a migration book whereas I am starting from new with 2008.
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About half and half I would say. Several chapters are about migration scenarios specifically (AD, Exchange, Sharepoint) but there are lots of others too.
adamgilly
Spammer
Spammer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a difference between a domain account and a local account. Local accounts only exist on that one single PC that you created them on. Domain accounts exist in the "domain" and thus are capable of being used on any computer that is in that domain. So fossil watches if you have an "Administrator" account in the domain (likely) that user/password will work on all PCs in the domain. To address your specific question, there is no problem with having identically named accounts on local PCs. In fact, if they also have the same password you can utilize something called

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: