• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Wondering about Norton Enterprise

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Security Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cantthinkofanickname
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Wondering about Norton Enterprise Reply with quote

Currently we have Norton 2010 for all PCs. We are getting a windows SBS server 2008 as well and see that Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 includes protection for the server so would appear this may suffice in one package.

Our other option is to renew the current Nortons as they expire but that would need a separate purchase for the server.

1. my experience of endpoint is that it markedly slows down PCs when installed (used to have it before our current Nortons but only used the client features). Does anyone else share this experience?

2. What could we do for the server as a separate issue (maybe open source)?
operat0r2
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AV is dead but ... my boss wanted it so we use KAV JUST THE AV nothing else ... it seems to be light compared to others etc ...

* no users get admin rights
* just have AV no active watch or process guard etc .. maybe on the servers but if your a 1/2 cracker admin you dont need AV on your servers ... but then again its windows and if its a server chances are its running MSSQL and or IIS with some crap vendor software that has exploits
cantthinkofanickname
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, operat0r2. What do you mean by "AV is dead"?

Initially we won't be using IIS or a DB. Not sure though if Exchange uses a DB which may be vunerable?
squiggie
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, Norton products are too heavy for enterprise use. They just seem to have too many features that slow down the systems they are running on.

Also, I have had a couple experiences in the last few months with Endpoint Protection where their driver was consuming all the page pool memory on some servers resulting in a complete system crash and a reboot had to be done to resolve the issue. Ultimately, this happened so often that the customers ended up removing the product from the servers totally. Any time this happens on a production server, it is bad. I would have to suggest avoiding Endpoint Protection.
cantthinkofanickname
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squiggie wrote:
... the customers ended up removing the product from the servers totally....

What was it replaced with?
eladl
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Norton are very heavy (as said above). We like using kaspersky, they have a really great enterprise product that has great control of policy.

installation is easy.. deployment is easy.. documents are great. we are using them for years and nearly didnt have any problems.
squiggie
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cantthinkofanickname wrote:
squiggie wrote:
... the customers ended up removing the product from the servers totally....

What was it replaced with?

Unfortunately I'm not sure. I ended up disengaging from them before knowing what they replaced it with.
jhonas
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norton is very heavy antivirus software. Its consumed too much ram for processing that is why Norton slow down pc speed. To increase your pc speed remove Norton antivirus and install another software. You can install any antivirus or spyware software for pc security which consumes less memory.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Security Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: