• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Microsoft HomeLab, Security concerns

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Firewalls // Intrusion Detection - External Security

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReformedMicro
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Microsoft HomeLab, Security concerns Reply with quote

Hey all,

New to the forums, this is my first post! Many more to come no doubt!

So the scenario is, I need to gain exposure to progress and to do this i personally beleive my best shot is to build a home lab, replicating an enterpise environment, for some this may be OTT, but for me it sounds really excited and cant wait to commence!

I have drafted out a rough plan, to enlighten ya'll I will be virtualising my infrastrcuture using VMWare Infrastcuture, deploying a 2008 domain using exchange 2007. Once this is in play i'll expand on my setup and look into forefront, SCOM and Office Communicator.

Before I commence I am a little concerned with Security and being fairly new to the game am a bit vague on what security mechanisms I will need in place and if these should be deployed before hand. I have done a bit of research (google is my friend) and gather that I will want a hardware based firewall, although if I can avoid this initially, and rely on my netgear firewall Embarassed which will be upgraded to a cisco later on would you say I am bonkers? From a hackers point of view would they think I am an enterprise and try to attack me?

All software I am using has kindly been provided by my manager if ya'll was wondering, free from our microsoft gold partnership.

Sounds a bit risky without a firewall Shocked but hey like I say I am still fairly new to the game and advice would be appreciated Very Happy
ryansutton
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you asking what should you do to learn security in your lab or are you asking how to secure you lab in general?

By the way, I think it's a great idea to have a lab. It will really help you if you decide to get Certified.
ReformedMicro
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ryansutton, cheers for the reply.

I am pretty clued up in terms of security mechanisms and currently preparing for my next Cert, which is the main reason I want the lab in place so I can blitz the exams. I find hands on works makes things stick in my mind more.

My concern is can I do without.

Ultimately I will be purchasing a shiny new cisco router and implementing a Smooth firewall (Hardware based free firewall), although this is at the end of my project as I want to get more hands on with exchange the quicker the better, due to job interviews.

So my question is..... Having an exhange server will the make me more susceptible to attack? Perhaps someone can issue a port scan, pick me up as having a mail server and hack me?

I cant imagine how... which is why I have planned to add more layers of security once I have implemented all the microsoft stuff.
ryansutton
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any internet facing server will be susceptible to an attack. Setting up a firewall, not using default or easy to guess passwords and limiting services will help prevent intruders. You should also do some research and make sure you set up Exchange, Windows and the services that run on those platforms in a secure manner. For a lab though I wouldn't worry too much about it. You could take some backups and store them on a HD somewhere for disaster recovery.
ReformedMicro
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice, that was informative, thanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Firewalls // Intrusion Detection - External Security All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: