• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Advice on Segmenting Network

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Firewalls // Intrusion Detection - External Security

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pghtech
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Advice on Segmenting Network Reply with quote

Our network currently is setup as one network and no subnets. I am wanting to segment our network for a couple of reasons:

- We are implementing more management system and would like to move them to their own subnet

- a number of customer facing applications that we would like to separate from the internal network.

Our funds and hardware are limited as a small comapny, so I am looking for advice on how to go about doing so. I have the following hardware and run the following OS's:

Cisco 3500XL layer 2 switches
Win 2003/2008

I have been reviewing the implementation of VLan's on the switches, but I am not sure if this is the best way to go. I would also like to create secure channels between the two subnets and the main subnet. These secure channels might need to be done at the OS level (again advice needed here if recommended method). The secure channels would be for:

- one of the applications to be moved to the DMZ would be our spam solution that just relays qualified messages to our exchange server.

I might be capable of purchasing 'some' hardware or software to complete the setup - but our funds are limited so I am looking for some advice on a starting point based on the above information.

Thanks,

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Firewalls // Intrusion Detection - External Security All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: