• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

What Anti-virus software to use?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Security Related Software

View previous topic :: View next topic  
msqueen
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: What Anti-virus software to use? Reply with quote

I need a referral for a new antivirus all-in-one: firewall, storage, anti-spyware etc. I know most people go by reviews here and other places, but do you guys use trial and error, word of mouth, or other sources? I just want to know what's reliable before I spend all the $$$ or sign up for something random!
Mongrel
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msqueen,

It'll certainly be challenged by many here but I have a long and reasonably healthy relationship with Symantgec products both professionally and personally.

Norton Internet Security 2009 is a decent product, configurable to perform its tasks with minimal interference, and updated frequently.

I had Norton 360 pushed to me by Symantec Tech Support and I hated it - went back to NIS.Norton 360 seemed to take over far too much of my computing experience and was not configurable - couldn't disable features or customize it to my satisfaction.

My wife uses AVG Pro and it too is decent. Satisfactory support, configurability and ease of use.

Best to you and welcome,
Mongrel
ryansutton
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really depends on if you are asking about enterprise or home use.
ankeer
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the freeware anti-virus programs are enough in terms of protection as long as you pay attention to what you are doing on the computer, keep the anti-virus, the OS and other programs updated and avoid risky activity (suspicious websites and programs). Even the best anti-virus can be beaten by user error, especially when it comes to manually installing the virus (by accident or otherwise) or when a virus takes advantage of a security hole in a program or the OS.

I’ve used Kaspersky 2010 since it came out and it works very well.It did very well in rootkit detection: It managed to detect, block, and remove all ten stealth malware samples that we threw at it. It also detected and disabled all ten test infections, and proved more successful than other applications.
eddie5659
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Avast at the moment, as I used to use AVG free but after an update a few months ago, it slowed my connection down a lot.

Not sure if its been sorted now, but Avast is nice and smooth...for me, that is Razz

eddie
delluny
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually just got McAfee on my computer and I really, really love it. I was a skeptic, because I used to be a Mac person- but it's kept my computer safe and virus-free. Plus, it was a good deal with my student discount.
SecurityTrend
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer all-in-one products as the individual functions (eg:anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall) seem to behave better together.

I like PC Tools Internet Security as it is broad and has a lot of the security functions available for free.

As a secondary product the free Microsoft's Security Essentials for anti-malware has a broad range of anti-malware signatures and seems to behave ok with other security products.
krishriaz
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avast 5.0 is the best anti virus software which is free anti virus software. It is remarkable both for its efficiency and probably provide the most complete anti-virus free edition market. This is free for non-commercial and home use.
dickerson
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use AVG on my computers here for the anti virus side of things. I have Lavasoft Adaware, Spybot Search and Destroy as well for adware/spyware. I also have ParteoLogic Anti-Spyware on some machines.
idodo60
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello msqueen,
From my own tests, research and from what I've used, I find Kaspersky Internet Security to be the best security suite.
It's very strong, and it's not that resource-intense as it was in the last couple of years.
If you don't like Kaspersky Internet Security, Symantec has also made an amazing job with their Norton product line since last year, and it's very lightweight.
There is also a free security suite called COMODO Internet Security. It's a very powerful suite, but you need to have a bit of knowledge in security, because it asks many questions.
Mike_tech
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use and recomment Avira and AVG.
idodo60
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike_tech wrote:
I use and recomment Avira and AVG.

Using 2 real-time-protection-enabled anti-virus software may cause problems.
jhonas
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey try Avast anti virus software. avast! antivirus provides complete virus protection for your computer. The biggest change in Avast , though, is the interface. Gone is the music player default look, which was skinnable but confusing.

Download Antivirus Software | PC Security Software

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Security Related Software All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: