• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

NTFS mystery

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Windows

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jujiro
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: NTFS mystery Reply with quote

Folks,

I have a Windows XP notebook. I logon to the machine using my
workdomain\workuserid. When I am home, I logon to just the notebook itself using notebookname\userb. Both the logins are member of local
administrators group. I am unable to open any pdf, text files created by
workdomain\workuserid when I am logged in as notebook\userb. I am able to rename the files and even delete them. I gave explicit FULL CONTROL permission of these files to notebook\userb, even then it did not work. I googled the issue and read up on Group Policy, which may have been set by my work domain. However, I am unable to find it.

Can someone please shed some light on this issue. I am very interested to know, why one user is unable to open these text files, for which he has full control.

Thanks.
CoreDefend
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By default, everything should work.

Having full control over a file/folder/object should allow view access.

Check all of the other tabs in the Security dialog box of the file in question. Also, inherited permissions might be applied to the location where you are saving the files. Deny entries always trump Allow permissions.

Have you tried saving the files somewhere else? Try saving it in the local users desktop.

If you suspect a policy is the cause of this behavior then use Resultant Set of Policy to view the cumulative policies that are being applied. It's easier to use GPRESULT (the command line version).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733160%28WS.10%29.aspx

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Windows All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: