• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Packet injection causes any trouble?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Networking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smbody2
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: Packet injection causes any trouble? Reply with quote

Hello,

We are testing, with a close friend, if we can manipulate each others WLM conversations or not, by injecting packets on our school's wireless open network. My question is, is there any situation that I can get into trouble for packet injection, even though it wasn't for malicious purposes? I am connected to a network with lots of users and it is wireless, of course, for the purpose of our testing, the packets injected are from other (each other's) MAC/IP addresses etc. In physical sense, does our wireless card's radio transmit anything that could be used to identify us in the process of packet injection? And how about a wired ethernet network (switched)? Is it safe? Do we leave any traces? I know that an administrator can easily figure out that an injection is going on somewhere, but as I said, it's a crowded network, so can they identify "who" is injecting wirelessly/wiredly?

Thanks!
capi
SF Senior Mod
SF Senior Mod

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should really do this on your own network at home. If you absolutely want to use the school's network, just ask the admins what their stand is on the matter... whether it would be considered malicious or not.

Don't go trying to circumvent their restrictions, though. The school admins have the responsibility of managing the network, to keep it working, safe and clean, and we certainly won't be discussing how to break their efforts here. Besides, you may very well get caught, and depending on your school policy that may not end well for you.
smbody2
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I know, home network is the way to go, but because of dorm life, it's not currently possible. I just want to learn the technical part of the process; what exactly is transferred over the radio transmitter on my wireless card, when I say, inject some raw data with custom Ethernet/IP/TCP header?

Thanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Networking All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: